We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route 1 closure. What to do? Going South from San Francisco.

1 post
Route 1 closure. What to do? Going South from San Francisco.

Hello all,

My girlfriend and I are now planning our california roadtrip, happening this September and we noticed, that Route 1 might be closed at that time between Lucia and Gorda. Is it enough to drive from San Francisco along the coast to Lucia (or as far south as possible) and then drive inland towards Sequoia NP and from there straight to Los Angeles or is it worth at some point to drive back to the coast so that we see all the things in between Gorda and LA?

Or shortly: Which part of Route 1 has the most scenic views and can't be skipped?

Thanks a lot

3 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
71,227 posts
132 reviews
1. Re: Route 1 closure. What to do? Going South from San Francisco.

Hi

Open the full TripAdvisor website, not the app. Look to the right at the Top Questions. There are several topics about Hwy 1.

One popular way to do this is

Day 1. SF to Monterey including Henry Cowell Redwoods, maybe Santa Cruz, marine mammal viewing (or kayaking) at Elkhorn Slough, then Monterey tourism.

Day 2. Monterey south on Hwy 1 to the 'best bits' chosen from the long lists of attractions. Back to Monterey.

Day 3. Monterey to Salinas to L.A.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,584 posts
79 reviews
2. Re: Route 1 closure. What to do? Going South from San Francisco.

How many nights were you planning for this portion of the trip?

>>then drive inland towards Sequoia NP<<

There is no southern 'outlet' from the coastal road because of the closure. To drive inland (or continue south), you need to drive back to Monterey.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,773 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Route 1 closure. What to do? Going South from San Francisco.

The best part is south of Monterey and you don't have to go all the way to Gorda. Right now they're estimating reopening mid-September but I'd have a back up plan.

Reply to: Route 1 closure. What to do? Going South from San Francisco.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted