We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hey

Greater London...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hey

I was hesitant to post here again, as on one of my last posts I got some really horrid comments, actually quite hurtful regarding the fact I must be trolling.

Maybe I have disabilities? I think you should be more considerate. Anyway with that out of the way I do have a question

What is San Francisco like for 1 or 3 travellers! Last year I was in LA and we found it hard to get around, as neither of us could drive.

Is the transport system better? I heard it is really expensive, hopefully I’m going to learn to drive so in the next 2 or so years I can go out there and not worry about that.

Is it worth going back to California? I’ve been to New York, again my interests are not so much touristy things, bars, good restaurants, lots of parks and places to take good photos, etc, that is what I am looking for.

I love America and financially it doesn’t make much sense to go back, but I’m adjusting my finances so I have some free money, Ny and La I didn’t really have a purpose to go out there, but wouldn’t take the experience back

Mentioned in this post
5 replies to this topic
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,445 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hey

>>Is the transport system better? <<

San Francisco has a very good public transport system. Just like London and NYC, many folks who live here don't own cars, or don't use them in the city. It's only 7x7 miles, so very compact and user-friendly.

Yes, it's expensive, but if you figure the same costs as in London, you'll be fine. (And transportation is cheaper!) So if you'd spend 10 pounds on a meal in London, figure $10 in San Francisco. Or to give yourself more of a cushion, figure $13 since that's the rough value of 10 pounds currently.

Maybe look at some travel guides for SF, or Google Image Search to get an idea if it looks like you expect. And since this query is just about the lovely city of San Francisco, you might start reading the SF forum here on TA to get some background. There are also quite a number of FAQs to the right on that forum (viewed on a full web browser) that will give you very detailed answers to lots of questions, from how to get around to where to eat.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,445 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hey

I just read your topic on the Las Vegas board where you gave more details on that trip that you were considering. You don't mention a budget in this post, but I really hope your budget for San Francisco is more than the 1000 pounds for 10 days that you were planning for Vegas. "Dirt cheap" Airbnb units don't exist in SF -- or at least not in any area that is both convenient and safe. I'd say $100/night for a shared unit is the cheapest I'd recommend. You can get hostels for around $50-70/night.

If you repost on the SF board looking for more information/details, do include when you're considering coming, how many nights you'll be staying and your lodging budget.

(And don't take things posted on the internet so much to heart... one person speculated that you were a troll, but everyone else took you at face value and provided information. If that's the worst thing anyone ever says about you, you'll have a great life!)

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,626 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hey

There are Trip report first post of this SF forum. They are from other visitors so do have a look. That should help

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,157 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hey

Here is a direct link to the San Francisco / SF forum page:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60713…

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
7,074 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hey

If you want to visit the US, and you're concerned about money, then you may want to choose a different region. SF, LA and New York are the three most expensive cities in the country. And they're not at all representative of the country as a whole. I mean, "bars, good restaurants, lots of parks," my first thoughts are St. Louis, New Orleans or Atlanta.

You can have a really nice visit to SF without using public transit to get around. I just mostly walk when I'm up there. There are some touristy things that everyone wants to see, like the Golden Gate Bridge, that are far enough that you have to take public transportation to reach it, but most of the things worth seeing are pretty compact.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Golden Gate Bridge
Golden Gate Bridge
44,014 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Reply to: Hey