We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike rental Monterey

Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Bike rental Monterey

Hello,

My partner and I are going to be in Monterey for a day in August and are hoping to see the area via bikes. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on rental outfitters? We've been looking at 'Adventures by the Sea', but the rates seem very high... Are there cheaper options, or is this ($35 for 8 hours) more or less the price we should expect to pay? (We're used to Europe where it's somewhere between free and £12...)

Thanks in advance!

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,361 Reviews
from US$ 105.00*
Best Seller
Muir Woods and Wine Country, Lunch...
1,799 Reviews
from US$ 126.00*
Special Offer
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,630 Reviews
from US$ 61.20*
US$ 68.00
12 replies to this topic
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,839 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bike rental Monterey

Yes, $35 for the day sounds reasonable.

The only places in Europe where I've seen cheap rentals like you mentioned are when hotels rent or lend them to guests. I've never seen an independent operator rent bikes that cheap. Otherwise, how would anybody make enough to stay in business?

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,786 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bike rental Monterey

Yep, $35 sounds about right. The US is a car-centric place. Free bike rental isn’t really a thing here, especially in a small city like Monterey that would have to pick up all of the cost itself.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
7,192 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bike rental Monterey

A number of cities in the US have bike shares that are much cheaper, but that would be too much competition for places like Adventurers by the Sea. That's the cost of doing a tourist activity in a tourist town.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,786 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bike rental Monterey

Yep, agreed. I’ve seen low cost bike sharing in some large cities, but that would drive small private operators in small tourist towns out of business.

Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bike rental Monterey

Great, thank you! That makes sense! Good to get a feel for differences.

I think over here most big city councils run a free bike service, which is state funded, and then the price competition is at the lower end for independent vendors - Berlin in particular, you're unlucky if you pay more that €12 for a day. No idea about hotel rentals, I guess they could be a bit pricier as there's a captive audience.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,736 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bike rental Monterey

There's a new bike rental shop in Carmel but they may be more https://maddogscarmel.com/

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,839 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bike rental Monterey

What I meant was that I have seen hotels offer free or reduced price bike rentals to their guests as part of the amenities for staying there - not charge more because they are a captive audience. But for anybody renting bikes as a business, they have to charge enough to stay in business. It is uncommon here for our government to subsidize things like bicycles.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,195 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bike rental Monterey

well -- this is not yet available in the Monterey area but here is an example of what you will see in the larger US cities such as SF and Chicago and others

https:/…bike-rental-san-francisco

so while it is not Europe so I'm not sure why one wants everything one is used to in a certain country to be the same somewhere else -- we are getting there slowly but surely -- inch by inch away from our addiction to oil

Edited: 07 June 2018, 20:40
Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bike rental Monterey

Thanks.

And sorry, really didn't mean to offend anyone! We love America (hence the holiday!) and absolutely not looking for the same experiences in the US as at home (if we were, we'd not have chosen California... )

My original post was just asking if there were similar schemes in Monterey to ones over here, and follow up post trying to explain the original post!

Thanks for the tip about Carmel, we'll definitely look into this.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,195 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bike rental Monterey

No worries. We are not offended. The fact of the matter is that we are addicted to oil. Outside a large city like SF or LA or San Diego people will drive to their local grocery store even if it is a block away -- one will rarely see people bike around even with bike lanes et al. That is slowly changing in the burbs and smaller towns but not as fast as it has in the larger cities

Back to bikes -- one of the most fun things we used to do in Pacific Grove was to rent a surrey and bike that pacific grove trail. It is more expensive but just something different especially when one has little kids and they all had a ball. Now they are grown up and dont' think it is cool :-)

Reply to: Bike rental Monterey
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted