We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's good to see in Arizona in December/January

Chigwell UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What's good to see in Arizona in December/January

HI guys,

I'm coming to Arizona for 2 weeks in December/January. What is good to do at that time of year.

I'm flying into Phoenix and will spend a couple of days with family before heading out to explore.

I'm coming from the UK. Any advice on whether I should hire a four wheel drive to deal with the combination of snow and mountains?

All suggestions gratefully received.

M

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's good to see in Arizona in December/January

I guess it depends on what you like to do. Everything from shopping to hiking to skiing.

Visit http://www.arizonaguide.com/ to check out the different areas in AZ. See what looks like fun for you. Then ask us some more specific questions.

Dec/Jan is winter in the northern part of the state. Snow, cold and winter conditions can happen.

Tucson is nice anytime of year. The Grand Canyon is always beautiful.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's good to see in Arizona in December/January

You might want to bear in mind that renting a 4-wheel drive vehicle would be considerably more expensive. Otherwise, CasaAzul's comment on the north-south divide in Arizona is accurate; the northern half of the state can often have snow in the higher elevations. But if your schedule is flexible, you can just watch the weather forecast once you're here. Even when it snows, it is not likely to be an issue on most roads for more than a day or so. Snow in southern Arizona is much less likely and there aren't all that many mountain roads that most visitors would use that are likely to be affected. As for what to see and do, there are really endless opportunities. Keep in mind that December/January is high season here, especially in the south, so many attractions will be busier and more expensive. But amazing scenery is yours almost everywhere in Arizona for the price of the fuel to drive around. As a recent move-in (to Tucson; love it!), but frequent visitor, I'd be happy to offer some ideas if you care to narrow down your interests a little. And depending on time, there's also California, Las Vegas, Mexico, and more reasonably close. So many choices, so hard to decide! Have fun.(p.s.-I have a co-worker from Essex)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,858 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's good to see in Arizona in December/January

Personally I think the winter weather and especially snow, only enhance the beauty of the scenery in northern AZ. This is especially true at the Grand Canyon and in the Red Rock country of Sedona. Just be mindful of driving safely in snow if you have to. Chances are, you won't.

Chigwell UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's good to see in Arizona in December/January

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm thinking about Flagstaff - there are some things on at the observatory.

I'd like to visit monument valley, tour the Indian lands, maybe Santa Fe if it's not too far and obviously the Grand Canyon.

I will be on my own for most of the time so though I would like to do some hiking - if it's not too cold - it has to be a 'safe' area.

It's all whether dependent.

Thanks

MCNS

Chigwell UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's good to see in Arizona in December/January

I meant WEATHER dependent not whether.

Don't type and eat lunch at the same time your spelling goes to pot :-)

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,504 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's good to see in Arizona in December/January

Santa Fe is pretty far from the Grand Canyon. You can do it, but you would be better off seeing things in Arizona.

7. Re: What's good to see in Arizona in December/January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 05:49