We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October - what can we do in 7 nights?

Poland
Level Contributor
3,227 posts
137 reviews
October - what can we do in 7 nights?

Hi! My husband and I are planning to do a 7-night round trip in 3rd week of October, starting and ending in Las Vegas (1st night in Vegas is necessary due to our late arrival). It has been our dream to come to this wonderful area and now we are afraid that we won't have time to see all the things that are on our wish-list:

- the Grand Canyon

- Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend & Lake Powell boat trip

- Monument Valley

- Bryce Canyon

- Death Valley

- maybe Zion NP, but not necessarily

We have already booked 1 night at Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon - it's our 5th night of this itinerary.

We are starting in LV but ending in LA (where we have one last night, not included in the above mentioned 7-night itinerary).

I was thinking about something like this:

Day 1: Arrival to Las Vegas

Day 2: Las Vegas - Bryce Canyon (afternoon sightseeing)

Day 3: Morning BC sightseeing or Zion NP, then driving to Page, boat tour (?)

Day 4: Antelope Canyon & Horseshoe Bend, drive to Monument Valley, afternoon sightseeing

Day 5: Morning Monument Valley sightseeing, drive to the GC, sightseeing

Day 6: The GC in the morning, after that driving to LV

Day 7: LV - Death Valley - Las Vegas

Day 8: LV - Los Angeles

And what bothers me the most is accommodation in Monument Valley area - it's so expensive and limited. I know that day trips from Page are not recommended but maybe if we started early, say 5am, it would still allow us to see these natural wonders? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

4 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,651 posts
249 reviews
1. Re: October - what can we do in 7 nights?

Yes, Monument Valley is remote. Understand that it’s a Navajo Tribal Park on the Navajo Reservation. There are only two places to stay there. The View and Gouldings Lodge. They sell out in that order. Next closest place would be Kayenta. Be prepared for basic roadside hotel brands and services, with an accent on basic. The further you stay from MV, the greater the odds of you missing sunset and sunrise. You do NOT want to drive in this area in darkness. Bite the bullet and stay at the View if you can. And know that more than anywhere else on your itinerary, MV is one place where you need to book a native guide for a back country tour. You can’t see things without the native guide.

I’d delete Death Valley from your plan. It needs and deserves mor3 time than you can give it. If you want to go there, then spend the night there. Returning to LV and then back tracking to LA is pointless.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
66,651 posts
249 reviews
2. Re: October - what can we do in 7 nights?

Skipping Zions is a big deal. But you really don’t have time for it, along with everything else.

Poland
Level Contributor
3,227 posts
137 reviews
3. Re: October - what can we do in 7 nights?

Hi RedRox and thanks for your reply. I guess you are right, Monument Valley is so remote that we just need to spend a night there or skip it.

Not coming back to LV and spending a night on the way from LV to LA with Death Valley in the middle sounds interesting. Never actually thought about that before. I'd appreciate any recommendations regarding accommodation.

Edited: 02 August 2018, 03:52
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
66,651 posts
249 reviews
4. Re: October - what can we do in 7 nights?

Furnace Creek at DVNP. There’s a huge renovation and improvement project going on. The Furnace Creek Inn is one of the premier park hotels in the nation. Book it. You won’t be sorry. 2-3 nights there is ideal.

Reply to: October - what can we do in 7 nights?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted