We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How big an RV to rent?

Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
135 posts
15 reviews
How big an RV to rent?

we are renting an rv for 7 nights for 2 adults, a 13 and 10 year old girls. what factors should i consider when deciding between a 28 and 32 ft rv...besides simply the extra space, i am trying to weigh any pros and cons for a first time renter. we are taking the rv to denali and kenai

also, great alaskan holiday has a 50% special that ends today...will its prices really go up tomorrow? they seem to be the best company to rent from...other opinions.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
13,124 posts
233 reviews
1. Re: How big an RV to rent?

I always prefer shorter unless the larger provides an actual utility/accommodation that I need (e.g. I prefer being able to leave beds set up as beds and not having to "clean up" one so to be able to use a table.

Here's what I think you should get:

planetagadget.com/2008/…

... then we could all go with you!

Good luck,

Scott

ps We are getting close to to tourists booking their trips and AK costs (rentals, etc.) will start skyrocketing. The other big RV renter up here (in ANC) that I see fewer complaints about is ABC. If you compare these 2, I believe you'll be doing as good as you can.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: How big an RV to rent?

For the benefit of passengers riding in the back, be sure the vehicle has large picture windows on BOTH sides, otherwise their views of the scenery will be limited.

The best layout is when the RV has a dinette on one side and couch on the other, with a large window next to each. Other vehicles have a kitchen on one side with only a small window over the sink and entry door. You can't see out of these small windows when you're travelling. The 30 and 32 have a nice layout.

I rented the 22 ft ; having the couch and dinette across from each other was handy in the evenings when we played cards or board games so that we weren't squished together at the table.

(BTW, there are no windows in the over cab bed if the kids had thoughts of travelling up there)

Wylie.Texas
Level Contributor
186 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: How big an RV to rent?

I would go with the 32'' --- 7 day's with two kids in a RV CAN be a long trip. We have rented a rv twice and were happy for the added room in a larger unit . Do not get me wrong you will have a blast in the small unit but there not much driving difference in the bigger one.

David

Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
135 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: How big an RV to rent?

Thanks. we went with the 30 ft from GAH due to having the bigger windows as you suggested and due to the fact that the the bunk beds in the 32 were a little too close to the master bedroom. thanks

5. Re: How big an RV to rent?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 22:10