We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what type of fishing pole for bank fishing on our own?

arizona
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
what type of fishing pole for bank fishing on our own?

we are going to bring or buy in Anchorage, fishing poles for using in the state parks we are camping in. what type of pole for sockeye, etc? what test line? any help would be great!

Shelli

Wylie.Texas
Level Contributor
186 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: what type of fishing pole for bank fishing on our own?

Gosh that is a question that is a little hard to pin down. Time of year, location,skill, ect. Try this site it has alot of info and some nice people that will help you. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com But for a quick thought --med to heavy bass type gear that you use in the lower 48.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: what type of fishing pole for bank fishing on our own?

Most use waders to fish for reds. Bird Creek, Russian River, Fish Creek, etc. most we see are in the water in waders. Any of the local fishing shops of which there are plenty can set you up based upon where you will be fishing. When we go down to the Russian River to fish for our winter supply of reds we even stop in the little local fishing shop there to get the specific Russian River red flies for my hubby to use with his fly rods. The same shop set him up with the correct heavy duty test line when he first started fishing there years ago.

Edited: 31 January 2011, 01:06
Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
96 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: what type of fishing pole for bank fishing on our own?

Along the same line...

We're have an open day (i.e. nothing scheduled) in Seward in August and are interested in fishing. Dont need a charter or anything. Either fishing on our own or with a guide fishing from shore would be fine for us.

Millers Landing have shore fishing available with a guide. Any other places people recommend that rent equipment? Should we drive over to Kenai, probably too far. Is there shore fishing in Cooper Landing anywhere?

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: what type of fishing pole for bank fishing on our own?

If we are going to be in an area with kings, we use 17 - 30 pound spinning tackle with medium heavy action rods. If no kings, 14 - 17 lb class spinning tackle, medium action.

Seward, Alaska
Level Contributor
212 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: what type of fishing pole for bank fishing on our own?

Hi from Seward,

we need to know which parks you are staying in because that will make some difference in choice of gear...If you are fishing in the lakes for trout, and the smaller variety fish, your basic bass type spinning gear will work, or if you know how to use a fly rod..that will also work and to be sure will be a lot of fun...If you are fishing the Kenai River/Russian river area, salmon do run those rivers such as kings, and you would want some heavy gear, they get big...If you are beach fishing for the silver salmon, just about all of the stores in Anchorage will sell adequate affordable salmon fishing set up as special deals..and that will be open face reels w/ bails,,,,a little more heavy duty than the typical bass set up used down in the lower 48.. and you will be using spoon type lures with treble hooks , and more likely snagging the salmon than actually getting them to take the lure...believe me it works well..

The Kenai area has developed some of their own famous rigs for use in that area...Be forewarned....make sure you know where you are fishing because the rules are pretty complicated here....and areas are open and other areas of the same river are closed...so you must check or pay dearly...

I hope this helps.....by the way I like fishing at lower Summit lake where the stream flows in from Upper Summit...there is a pull out right near it...and it is a very pretty area...to fish in....good luck catchin!

Rick Adventure Sixty North

Michigan
Level Contributor
445 posts
6. Re: what type of fishing pole for bank fishing on our own?

Here's a helpful link for the Seward area.

millerslandingak.com/map_LocalStockedLakes-A…

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
62 reviews
7. Re: what type of fishing pole for bank fishing on our own?

If you are not fly fishing I would use Number 4 or 5 Pixie Spoons I have had good luck with the red ones and the yellow ones. Some folks like to use Mepps Aglia Spinner I think yellow and pink are the best bet with those.

If you are going to use bait you need to check the fishing regulations as sometimes and place do not allow for live bait.

But really we need to have you narrow down where you are going fishing, type of fishing, and what you are fishing for. I myself normally have about 5 fishing rigs in the truck when going fishing and the tackle box from you know where.

Another thing if you are going to buy fishing tackle for a certain area and species go to a really fishing shop as the Department Stores may not be very knowledgeable on what you need.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,633 posts
8. Re: what type of fishing pole for bank fishing on our own?

>> We're have an open day (i.e. nothing scheduled) in Seward in August and are interested in fishing. Dont need a charter or anything. Either fishing on our own or with a guide fishing from shore would be fine for us. <<

Depending on when in August, you might find that fishing is a bit competitive in Seward.

…seward.com/events/details/seward-silver-sal…

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
62 reviews
9. Re: what type of fishing pole for bank fishing on our own?

I would really think about a fishing charter from Seward. Not only do you get to catch some good fish but you will see much wildlife and Resurrection Bay is awesome.

Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
96 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: what type of fishing pole for bank fishing on our own?

>Depending on when in August, you might find that fishing is a bit competitive in Seward. <

Yes, thanks for posting the link. Fortunately, we'll be in Seward Aug 6-8 and will miss the Salmon tournament.