We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southcentral outdoor activity ideas

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Southcentral outdoor activity ideas

I'll be traveling with 2 friends (ages: 36-45), flying into Anchorage Fri, 6/22, and out via cruise on Fri, 6/29 (Seward>Vancouver), and am looking for input for daytime activities prior to cruise. We will have a rental car (until last day), are all fairly fit and active, and on a budget other than a few splurges. Here's what we've planned so far and questions.

-Fri night (arriving late), staying in Eagle Vista

-Sat: drive Old Glenn Hwy to Palmer. Activity recommendations for that day? Side trip to Eklutna Lake for hike or paddle? Or hike somewhere else along the way?

-Sun: drive to Glacier View and back to Palmer. Is there a way to hike at Mantanuska Glacier that doesn't require booking a tour?

-Mon: drive to Willow for flightseeing, stay in Talkeetna that night. Any suggestions for around Willow/Talkeetna? Lynx Lake canoe? River float trip?

-Tues-Wed: Denali park, stay in Healy Tues, back to Anchorage Wed night. Thinking of shuttle bus to Eielson with hiking along the way on Tues and Triple Lakes hike Wed. Since driving back to Anchorage Wed, was thinking of parking car at Denali Village in morning, shuttle back to visitor center and hike Triple Lake back to car. Will that work? Is there a charge for the shuttle from Village to park?

-Thurs: train to Seward and spend night. Afternoon hike to Exit Glacier and part of Harding Ice Field trail.

-Fri: fjord/wildlife cruise then board cruise ship.

Happy to hear any insights you have to offer.

1 reply
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,773 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southcentral outdoor activity ideas

On Saturday or Sunday you should plan to visit Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine. There are lots of opportunities to hike and it is a beautiful area.Information on Matanuska Glacier hiking:https://alaskahikesearch.com/hikes/matanuska-glacier/

Eklutna is a beautiful lake and there are some nice hikes that get you above the treeline. Look up hiking The Butte along the Old Glenn, it is a well traveled route with some great views up Knik Valley.

https:/…

I might suggest that on Saturday you drive south and check out Girdwood/Portage and The Wildlife Conservation Center and then head north to explore Hatcher Pass and Matanuska Glacier the next day. Especially if the weather is clear I would say The Turnagain Arm drive south of Anchorage is a can't miss.

Reply to: Southcentral outdoor activity ideas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted