We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best close to shore snorkelling

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Best close to shore snorkelling

I'm not a strong swimmer and would like to snorkel as close to shore as I can. Which resort in the area would be best for this? Brisas, PP, PCV??

10 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best close to shore snorkelling

The PRDO has good snorkelling right off the beach.

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,988 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best close to shore snorkelling

There is reasonable off the beach snorkelling at Playa Pesquero (the beach has 3 resorts to choose from). Playa Esmeralda (PRDO, Sol Luna Mares) has better snorkelling but PP is more sheltered and likely more suited to someone who isn't a strong swimmer. If you go out from the east side of the beach in front of Blau, it is pretty shallow. Watch out for the dive boat!

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best close to shore snorkelling

How does PP compare to the resorts and beaches at Guardalavaca?

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,988 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best close to shore snorkelling

I haven't been there in awhile but the Blau used to be decent and PP and PCV get reasonable reviews. Someone who has been there recently would have more insight.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
247 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best close to shore snorkelling

I think Blau should be good choice. There is a ladder directly to the reefs, right near diving center.

Edited: 03 January 2018, 05:29
Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best close to shore snorkelling

I've stayed at Blau (Plus side) and at Playa Pesquero and we enjoyed both resorts. We were at Blau last year and had booked Blau again for next week but have just changed our resort to Playa Pesquero. There is a management change happening at Blau this week and we just didn't want to take a chance on any hiccups happening while we were there. I had purchased the Options Flex South package for $50 CAD PP from Air Transat when booking so I was able to make the change at no additional charge. I'm sure the Blau is/will be just fine. When we booked originally, PP was out of our price point, but it has come down some so I'm only paying an extra $30 PP.

There was shallow water snorkeling at both resorts so you shouldn't have any problem at all and the beach is sheltered. We had friends staying at the Memories the same week we were at the Play Pesquero and they had red flags and we didn't. Bring your own mask and snorkel and some water shoes. The resort has masks and snorkels to lend but I really don't like the idea of sharing a snorkel.

If you have any specific questions about either of those 2 resorts I'd be happy to answer what I can. When are you planning to go?

Allenford, Canada
Level Contributor
330 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best close to shore snorkelling

I have not been to the other resorts you mention but been to Brisas many times....I know that a catamaran snorkeling tour often parks out front to the right of Brisas ~S~

Allenford, Canada
Level Contributor
330 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best close to shore snorkelling

I guess technically it ancors ! not park LOL

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best close to shore snorkelling

Any decent snorkelling at Brisas is a pretty good swim from shore but if you're up for a 300 metre swim it's quite good.

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Best close to shore snorkelling

At the Fiesta Americana Coste Verde formerly Blau Coste Verde there is snorkeling right off the beach. You can walk quite a distance off shore and it provides some the best snorkeling i have ever seen on any of our trips. You will be able to feed fish right out of your hand if you wish. This is our fifth time returning to this resort and it is because the snorkeling.

Reply to: Best close to shore snorkelling
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Holguin
Recent Conversations