We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Holguin

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Holguin

Several Canadian vacation companies are advertising the "Iberostar Holguin" for March 2018. No pictures yet and the price is higher than the other resorts.

Is this the new resort near Playa Pesquero? If so, does will this resort have its own beach or will guests use Playa Pesquero as the beach? Google Maps doesn't show much of a beach!

42 replies to this topic
Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Holguin

I have been reading that together with all Tourism arms of the Cuban Gov't, Gaviota, Gran Caribe and Cubanacan, have put a hold/stop on any new build or the continuation of new build started prior to Irma, as ALL available construction materials and resources are being assigned to rebuild of damaged hotels.

Many trades people from the Holguin area, Santiago and other regions are being sent to Cayo Coco, Cayo Guillermo and Cayo Santa Maria to help with the rebuild. The 4 new Hotels that were being built prior to Irma, on Cayo Guillermo, are on hold.

Very doubtful that you will see any brand new hotels opening anytime soon.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Holguin

Theracers, my thoughts exactly. I was surprised to see Transat advertising it as available for booking in March.

Level Contributor
299 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Holguin

Also bookable in Germany, as Iberostar Holguin IN Playa Pesquero.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
70 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Holguin

Iberostar Holguin is across the river from Playa Pesquero beach and when I was there last month it looked like it was ready to open it had its own private beach. I was staying at the Playa Pesquero hotel when hurricane Irma hit there was some damage to buildings etc and the beach looked a mess and when I looked across at the new Iberostar hotel the beach had gone. Likewise the beach sand was gone exposing lots of rock on Playa Pesquero beach. I have searched on our Travel sites here in England but no one is advertising it yet I would be interested in stopping there 2018. Hope this helps.

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Holguin

Hola. We were at Playa Pesquero last week. Zero movement going on at the Iberostar. Our Cuban friend told us the same, new construction is on hold and all of the workers have been sent to repair the hotels in the cayos.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Holguin

Totally makes sense. Thanks for the update.

Level Contributor
299 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Holguin

Btw: Anything new at the construction area in Guardalavaca city (lol)?

Leerdam, The...
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Holguin

The Germans still offer this hotel from spring 2018.

Wolfville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Holguin

This resort was due to open in March 2018 and some tour groups were booking. If it is not ready they will give another option closer to March. You can check the Iberostar website to see if anything being noted.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberostar Holguin

From Thomas cook you can book it from November 2018

Reply to: Iberostar Holguin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Holguin
Recent Conversations