We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand fleas - protection tips

Toronto
14 posts
Save Topic
Sand fleas - protection tips

Will be travelling to GPT with an 1 year old. Is the regular bug repellent - with DEET - working against sand fleas ?

Thanks

Kirkland Lake
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand fleas - protection tips

I've read previous reviews where one couple had 100% deet, mosquito bands, room spray, etc and none of them worked 9more the mosquitos than anything else) Also, note that deet is NOT SAFE for 1 yr olds.....try skintastic for children which is mild and approved for children. Whats the worst of two evils....poisoning by bug spray or dealing with the irritation of the bites....

On a more comforting note, when I went to Jamaica, many people complained about sand fleas and while I was there, not one bothered me or the other 3 woman I was with. I live in Northern Ontario where the mosquitos and black flies are bad and they usually LOVE me first out of anyone in my family, but in the hot, tropical sun, they didn't bother me at all!

My advice would be to try a light preventative and pay more attention to treating the irritation afterward, much safer for the child. ( I have 5 kids.....)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand fleas - protection tips

Sand Fleas love me too but I have not heard of any protection against them. I am of the understanding that Deet is not suitable for use on young children, so maybe check that one out.

A good tip I read on this forum is to ensure you change your beach towels before you go back to your room...... otherwise you could be taking the little so and so's back with you.

Spain
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand fleas - protection tips

So mozzie repellant is no good then? It's good to know so that we don't bother to put it on for nothing...Thanks for the towel advice.

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand fleas - protection tips

Hiya

The best advice I can give for these pesky (what was it LL) so and so's is

Don't keep youe feet in the sand too much while sitting still ...keep them up on the lounge chair ...

They like perspiration so when real hot be extra dilligent with the feet and ankles.

The kids like to play in the sand so better where the surf is rolling in.

If it's breezy out ... less chance of them being around so watch sheltered areas etc.

Just my two cents

Mardi

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand fleas - protection tips

EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know... and a lot more about sand fleas, bed bugs and head lice go to:

who.int/water_sanitation_health/resources/ve…

The section on sand fleas is about 1/2 down the page... lots of reading or scroll down.

Good luck Loony Lou, you delicious piece of critter food. lol

Spain
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sand fleas - protection tips

Thanks!!!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sand fleas - protection tips

...lol macdon...lol. My sympathetic friend !!

I will have a look at that page.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sand fleas - protection tips

keep the kids away from deet, better yet out of the sun as well. Both are very harmful to young children. The whole sand flea thing is wierd for us older folks. One person out of our family gets bites and the rest are not bothered. I think its only bad for some people but not all not all. I grew up in summers in bug land so my body is ammune to bites now mind you I swear by the motta to drink all day on a holiday to keep my blood level just at the right blend to keep the bugs from biting.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sand fleas - protection tips

used skin so soft from avon. no problems. fragrance got to me after 2 weeks but no bites when I wore it!

cubacarol

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sand fleas - protection tips

cubacarol - I know what you mean about the smell of skin-so-soft. My daughter used it and although she did still get bitten she didn't get bitten as much as many others - but that smell - no wonder the mossies avoid it!!!!