We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise ship - Spend day in Akaroa or go to Christchurch?

California
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cruise ship - Spend day in Akaroa or go to Christchurch?

Cruise ship is stopping at Akaroa instead of Lyttleton. We will be in port from 8:00-6:00. Would you recommend taking a tour from Akaroa to Christchurch or just spend the day in Akaora?

If we spend the day in Akaroa, what sights/tour do you suggest. We prefer a land experience, don’t want to do another harbor/boat tour.

THANKS

1. Re: Cruise ship - Spend day in Akaroa or go to Christchurch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2011, 08:56
Edited: 14 November 2011, 08:56
2. Re: Cruise ship - Spend day in Akaroa or go to Christchurch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2011, 08:56
Double Oak, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise ship - Spend day in Akaroa or go to Christchurch?

If you go to Christchurch, you'll use up quite a bit of your time in travel to/from. That said, Akaroa is a charming small French-originated town with nice walks and shops. You can stroll around and shop but not much else. A big thing in Akaroa is a cruise to see dolphins, seals and other wildlife. I've done it and really enjoyed it. If you don't care to do that, you might consider Christchurch. If you go on an organized tour, you will have the package set up to accommodate the travel time to/from and still see some varied sights. We're very fond of Akaroa but with your interests, you might prefer Christchurch for sightseeing. I'd check the itinerary for a Christchurch tour and see what is offered in the time available.

NZ
Level Contributor
32 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise ship - Spend day in Akaroa or go to Christchurch?

There are lots of things to do & see, tours, walks, shops, history, churches, akaroa.com is the local community website with anything you could want to know not just the commercial stuff.

There are lots of different tours on & off the water including farm (sheep or alpaca), bus, motorbike & sidecar, penguins, taxi, sightseeing, a variety of boat trips to see seals & dolphins, sailing, swim with dolphins & cheese factory. Tours vary in length, activity, content & style. You are bound to find something you will love.

Some of the bus companies are running shuttle buses up to the Hilltop Cafe. There is a double decker bus too.

The local community are welcoming visitors at the wharf with town maps which also have the history & walking routes if you like to explore. It's a great wee town to walk around & with lots to do as well but you might have to look for it. Just ask. There is a temporary info centre on the wharf & the main visitor centre in the middle of town, roving ambassadors & the locals are friendly too.

Akaroa
Level Contributor
27 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise ship - Spend day in Akaroa or go to Christchurch?

I live in Akaroa so I may be biased but I really do think it is the most beautiful spot in New Zealand. There is certainly a lot on offer as was mentioned in the above post. There is an information centre in town and another temporary one set up at the end of the wharf you arrive on that can help you plan your day. There are some amazing walks that take in the beautiful scenery as well. Enjoy your visit to Akaroa!

Akaroa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise ship - Spend day in Akaroa or go to Christchurch?

There are 2 and 2.5 hour bus tours from Akaroa that take you to the Barrys Bay Cheese factory, hill top tavern with spectacular views and 1 bus also goes over the hill to the next town ship, Little River. These local bus tours are great for seeing the Peninsula scenery but still having enough time in the Akaroa town ship. There are a number of land based activities to enjoy locally- farm tours, a penguin colony, gardens, craft markets, fantastic retail therapy...enough to keep you entertained!

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise ship - Spend day in Akaroa or go to Christchurch?

I will go on cruise on 21/1, where to take this local bus tours and how much it will cost?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
173 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise ship - Spend day in Akaroa or go to Christchurch?

Hi Stella,

This link should help. http://www.akaroashuttle.co.nz/

Otherwise I'd suggest you contact your cruise ship directly about excursions.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,487 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise ship - Spend day in Akaroa or go to Christchurch?

Akaroa to Christchurch is about an hour to an hour and a half each way so that's a fair chunk of you day. You would then need to be highly organised to get value out of your time there. Sarshy only exagerates a little. I think the move from Lyttelton to Akaroa is quite positive and it will be interesting to see if the cruise ships move back once things settle down.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
133 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruise ship - Spend day in Akaroa or go to Christchurch?

IF I decide to take bus to Christchurch, what'sthe difference between French connection and Akaroa Shuttle?