We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter activities for children aged 2 and 4

F31
Ireland
7 posts
Save Topic
Winter activities for children aged 2 and 4

Hi,

We are travelling to Fredros, Gunnarskog at the end of January. We are staying in a cabin, we have 2 children aged 2 and 4. I would appreciate any info on types of clothes we should pack. At the moment I am researching activities for us. We will be going on a sleigh ride and possibly ice fishing, there are cross country skiis for us to hire and prepared trails from our door ... first question my husband and I have never tried XC skiing, is it difficult to master? Is it difficult to drag children behind in a sled ? Also, I have been told that snowshoeing is not appropriate for young children BUT you can buy snowshoes in toddler sizes .. any advice on this? Finally, if anyone knows that area of Varmland do they have recommendations regarding villages to visit, restaurants to go to, activities to do (We will be hiring a car)?

Thankyou

F

Göteborg
Level Contributor
543 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter activities for children aged 2 and 4

You would need warm and waterproof clothes for everyone. A basic rule is to avoid cotton. Wear layers of wool or synthetic materials, such as fleece. You can wear cotton socks indoors, but change to dry, clean wool socks when you go outside.

Jackets and "outdoor pants" (I dont know what all kinds of clothing is called in English!) need to be waterproof. Most Swedish kids wear thick winter overalls. (Easy to move in, put on, and keeps snow out even when crawling in it) Warm mittens, hat and a balaclava/scarf. Warm boots, of course.

If you plan to spend a few days in Gothenburg, you can buy any clothes that you need there.

XC skiing isn´t that hard to do the first time. You won't go as fast as more experienced skiers, and you might fall a few times, but nothing could go seriously wrong. If you come to a slope that's to steep, you can just take the skis off and walk down. To drag the kids behind can be hard work, especially if there's a lot of loose snow.

Snowshoeing is quite uncommon in Sweden. I don't know anyone that has tried it. Maybe they would prefer trying to ski? There is also a downhill skiing facility close to you, Sunne. www.skisunne.se (unfortunately only in Swedish) The kids would also lika sledding, building a snowman and a snow lantern.

I'm sorry I can't help you with tips of activities and restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Gothenburg
Gothenburg
Vastra Gotaland County, Sweden
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
F31
Ireland
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter activities for children aged 2 and 4

Thanks alot for all the advice ... we are really looking forward to our trip

3. Re: Winter activities for children aged 2 and 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2011, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Arvika
Recent Conversations