We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sweden Varmland

F31
Ireland
7 posts
Sweden Varmland

We are thinking of booking a cabin in the forests of Varmland in January ... we have two children a 4 year old and a 2 year old ... are we mad to bring them on this type of holiday.

9 replies to this topic
Göteborg
Level Contributor
562 posts
1. Re: Sweden Varmland

Of course not! I´m sure you´ll have a great time!

It gets dark early, and it can be really cold, so be prepared for that. Bring really warm clothes, flashlights and games, books etc to enjoy indoors when it´s dark.

F31
Ireland
7 posts
2. Re: Sweden Varmland

Thanks for the reply .. one other question we have decided to go on the trip, we are going to fly into either Oslo, Stockholm or Gothenburg and hire a car to travel to Varmland. We plan to spent a day or two in the city I'm just wondering which city is the nicest to visit / I know Oslo is closest to Varmlands.

F

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
100 posts
64 reviews
3. Re: Sweden Varmland

I would suggest Gothenburg, Oslo is very expensive and not nearly as fun as Gothenburg for a family. Gothenburg is one of Swedens most beloved touristdestinations and you cant go wrong with that. Its an 3 hour drive from Gothenburg to Värmland. Gothenburg has so much fun to offer a family that it cant be described in these few lines. And its allso easy to walk around in Gothenburg (And they have great public transports). Gothenburg doesnt get so very cold in the winter as Värmland, Gothenburg lies out by the coast and the water keeps the very cold away from the coast. But they do have snow in the winters. And dont forget to have VERY warm clothes for the Värmland trip, it can temporarily go down to minus 20 Fahrenheit (-25 C) in Värmland. Värmland is really cold in the winters. But allso very beautiful and allso empty of people with a lot of Mooses :-).

Edited: 16 September 2010, 01:43
Göteborg
Level Contributor
562 posts
4. Re: Sweden Varmland

I think Gothenburg would be a good place to start! In january you wold like to focus on indoors activities. There are some nice museums - my favourite for kids is:

www.universeum.se/index.php…

I also like:

http://www5.goteborg.se/prod/kultur/sjofartsmuseet/dalis2.nsf/ffcfc8f558bc71c9c1256a69004e8de9/528c24973d9c2487c1256ef7004b1e0f!OpenDocument

There is also a big indoor shopping mall.

Stockholm has a lot to offer, too, of course! (also nice museums for kids) I wouldn´t choose Oslo, because it´s expensive, and I guess the car would be more expensive, too.

Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
5. Re: Sweden Varmland

stockholm is just four hours by train, and really is a lovely city with many good museums and some lovely architecture, especially in the old city, called gamla stan

Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
6. Re: Sweden Varmland

we were in varmland last march. we took the train from stockholm. we visited the smaller towns north of Karlstad. it is very pretty there in the snow, but everyone says springtime is the best, when everything is in bloom. i think it would be a restful place to take young children. older children (teenagers might get bored.)

London, United...
1 post
7. Re: Sweden Varmland

hi, where did you stay?

tim

F31
Ireland
7 posts
8. Re: Sweden Varmland

we stayed in Fredros Gard .. had a great time

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
213 reviews
9. Re: Sweden Varmland

We stayed at Fredros Gård too (December 2012). Highly recommended.

Edited: 23 January 2013, 20:24
Reply to: Sweden Varmland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Arvika
Recent Conversations