We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking around with luggage after dark

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Walking around with luggage after dark

Hello! We are two girls who will be arriving in Riga from Tallinn on a Thursday night in August; we're planning to get off the bus at the Tallink hotel and then walking to our hotel, the Clarion Collection Mayfair. We'll be arriving at around 22:30, and according to google maps we'll have to walk past a park to get there. Should we be concerned about safety? Thanks so much!

Vejen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking around with luggage after dark

Hi - I guess you mean Clarion Valdemars?

First I will say that the parks in Riga is open with good view and often police there. Before 24 I have no concern passing through them. And you are 2 persons.

And as you only pass them on the roads with traffic it will be as safe as in any city in Europe.

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking around with luggage after dark

Agree with the previous post. The area you will walk through is central, besides the parks you will pass by are small and cosy, not really much space for criminals to hide in.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking around with luggage after dark

Yes, sorry, Clarion Valdemars, was confusing it with the one in Copenhagen :) Thank you so much for the reassurance!

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
69 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking around with luggage after dark

I would suggest just go straight on Elizabetes Str it is the street Tallink hote is on) towards Valdemara str, and then turn right - a few steps and you are at the hotel. You do not need to go through the park. As mentioned in previous posts parks are generally safe, but we have had a few rbbery cases in parks at the past.

Vejen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking around with luggage after dark

Pilseta: As written they will not walk through the park but pass it on the road, but alternative route is also fine

Vejen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking around with luggage after dark

...even I think its the same route ;)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking around with luggage after dark

Just got back and you were all correct, it was fine, we never for one moment felt unsafe :) I loved Riga, even more than Tallinn, it was so, so beautiful.

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking around with luggage after dark

Good to hear!

If you have time and wish, post a trip review what you have seen, what places you have visited, I think, other travellers will be very much interested.

9. Re: Walking around with luggage after dark

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2013, 14:45
Get answers to your questions about Riga