We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paneriai, Kaunas day trip

Missouri
Level Contributor
265 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Paneriai, Kaunas day trip

Is it possible to see both Paneriai and Kaunas on a single day trip out of Vilnius? It appears to me they are on the same rail line which comes through hourly..

6 replies to this topic
Vilnius, Lithuania
Destination Expert
for Lithuania, Vilnius
Level Contributor
3,386 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paneriai, Kaunas day trip

Possible, but you need to check trains from Paneriai as not all trains for Kaunas stop there (only the slower ones do).

Paneriai exposition is closed on Mon & Sat:

jmuseum.lt/en/…

Train schedules here:

https://www.traukiniobilietas.lt/portal/en

Missouri
Level Contributor
265 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paneriai, Kaunas day trip

Do I need to buy tickets in advance (2 hous in Paneriai?) Or in Vilnius, Paneriai, and Kaunas?

Vilnius, Lithuania
Destination Expert
for Lithuania, Vilnius
Level Contributor
3,386 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paneriai, Kaunas day trip

You need separate tickets for both legs (Vilnius-Paneriai and Paneriai-Kaunas).

You can buy both tickets in Vilnius, but if any doubts about time needed in Paneriai, no worries, buy it on the train from train conductor if the ticket office in Paneriai station is closed. There is no supplement to buy from the conductor if ticket office is closed in Paneriai. Cash only (buying on the train), i think.

You can buy Kaunas-Vilnius ticket once you get to Kaunas train station. Last one is around 10pm.

Missouri
Level Contributor
265 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paneriai, Kaunas day trip

Thanks!

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
587 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paneriai, Kaunas day trip

You can also take a train from Paneriai to Vilnius and then take a train to Kaunas.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
645 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paneriai, Kaunas day trip

I went to Paneriai when I was in Vilnius a few years ago. It's well worth the trip, just bear in mind that it is a walk of about one kilometre from the train station to the museum/site - get off the train in Paneriai, turn right out of the station and walk down the road parallel to the railway tracks for 1 km. Easy. There's not a great deal to see but the small museum is fascinating in a gruesome, appalling sort of way ... The actual mass graves are now covered with grass but you can walk among them and imagine the horror. It is a sombre place.

The ticket office at Paneriai station was closed when I went there, but it is easy to buy tickets on Lithuanian trains from the conductor. Just have cash, preferably in small denominations/coins - conductors often don't have enough change for large notes.

Reply to: Paneriai, Kaunas day trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted