We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry ticket question

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
378 posts
7 reviews
Ferry ticket question

I've took the Smiltynė - Klaipėda ferry for two days:

Yesterday: I had no ticket, ticket office closed, no ticket control, asked crew and responded free

Today: I had ticket, ticket office open, someone checked my ticket

If I started at Smiltynė without a ticket, under what circumstances I would board the ferry for free?

1 reply
Vilnius, Lithuania
Destination Expert
for Lithuania, Vilnius
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
299 reviews
1. Re: Ferry ticket question

Normally, when you go from Klaipeda to Smiltyne you have to buy a return ticket (1eur) otherwise you can't get to the ferry through the gates. You need to keep the ticket for return in case of control to board in Smiltyne.

In Smiltyne there is a manned control, but not always the control is present. I returned from Klaipeda yesterday, was going every day to Smiltyne. I understand due to heat it is hard to have somebody at the control point all the time. Also at times there are big crowds, so no control just to keep boarding fast.

It can be a situation when a passenger wants to take just a one-way ferry from Smiltyne to Klaipeda ( coming from Nida or Kaliningrad buses). In that case they have an option to buy a one-way ticket at the ticket office in Smiltyne, if it is closed when it's a free ride. There is no control in Klaipeda when coming with ferry.

Edited: 01 August 2018, 23:45
Reply to: Ferry ticket question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Klaipeda