We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking or outdoor activities in the area?

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Idaho Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
639 posts
272 reviews
Hiking or outdoor activities in the area?

As part of our month long road trip, we are thinking of going to Trencin the first week of August for 2 days after visiting Budapest. (via Vienna & maybe Bratislava) We then are driving to the Brno area, which is partly why we chose Trencin so we don`t have too much driving on that day.

We would like to do some outdoor hiking, kayaking, or just something outdoorsy for a break from the big cities. Even driving to some small villages to see farms or Slovakian countryside. (I think High Tatras might be too far away?)

Any recommendations on this or anything out of the ordinary that is within about an hour drive or so?

Thanks-

4 replies to this topic
Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
879 posts
103 reviews
1. Re: Hiking or outdoor activities in the area?

For summer activities like swimming, kayaking etc. you might check Zelena voda, a set of lakes close to Nove Mesto nad Vahom (and also close to Trencin): http://www.zelenavoda.com/

To do some hiking closer than Tatra area, check Terchova - Vratna - www.vratna.sk which belongs to Mala Fatra mountain range.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
214 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Hiking or outdoor activities in the area?

Hello, if you are interested in outdoor activities close to Trencin, I can recommend you are around Nova Lehota and Bezovec in Povazsky Inovec hills - I was there 2 weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised how picturesque the area was.

If you are interested in hiking, you can take a bus to Bezovec and from there hike on the main ridge to the Inovec hill, have a drink at the hut below and take a bus back to Trencin from Minichova Lehova. Search for exact path on mapy.hiking.sk

If you like horseback riding, at Bezovec you can arrange a horse and have a nice ride in the opposide way through nice rolling hills with meadows and forests. Or to the ruins of Tematin castle. Its not most touristy and spectacular area in Slovakia, but may be just what you are looking for :)

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Idaho Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
639 posts
272 reviews
3. Re: Hiking or outdoor activities in the area?

Thanks for this great information, and I'm quite excited that we can do a bit of hiking and outdoor activities near Trencin! Looks very beautiful!

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
58 posts
4. Re: Hiking or outdoor activities in the area?

When I was there I took the train to Višnové via Nové Mesto. You can climb up to Čachtice castle from there. It's not very lengthy but very atmospheric and has stunning views.

Reply to: Hiking or outdoor activities in the area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Trencin