We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommendations for an English speaking hairdresser?

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
571 posts
65 reviews
recommendations for an English speaking hairdresser?

Looking to get a new haircut / hairstyle whilst in Budapest next week.

Cost not really an issue - up to say €60ish / 20,000 HUF.

Definite requirement is English speaking, so that there's no misunderstanding about what style / length I require!

Other ideal requirement is preferably a male hairdresser.

If anyone can recommend anyone that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

europe-chick

35 replies to this topic
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
1. Re: recommendations for an English speaking hairdresser?

Where are you staying? Your concierge can handle your request. If your hotel doesn't have one, try the concierge at the Four Season. That will get you anything and everything you could want.

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
301 reviews
2. Re: recommendations for an English speaking hairdresser?

europe chick my wife mother in law and daughter seem to have endless trouble communicating with hairdressers in Budapest,most outside the hotels speak only limited english

of course the 5 star hotels can arrange a hair cut but it will cost a bit

also we found that most places require appointments, I am positive the last trip there is a chain of hair salons with a lot of green on the shop frontages and they all got hair dos there

hope this helps

tony

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: recommendations for an English speaking hairdresser?

I am not from Budapest but I go there often as I have a vacation home there. I have my hair cut at a hairdresser nearby, and the address is No 77 Fo utca (it's in District 2, and directly opposite the Kiraly Bath). There are three male hairdressers there, mine is called Victor and he speaks English. I am not sure how much they charge for ladies, but I pay less than 5,000 Forint. It's not that expensive in Budapest. I always see female customers there.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
4. Re: recommendations for an English speaking hairdresser?

Well, this is exactly what concierges are born for. Slip them a fin and you will get the world's greatest cut for $80-100. They will make the appointment and get you Fabio if that is what you want. Don't waste your precious vacation time trying to get your own stylist and appointment. Let the professionals do it for you.

Happy Trails!!!

Edited: 26 May 2014, 22:55
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,556 posts
182 reviews
5. Re: recommendations for an English speaking hairdresser?

Hello europe-chick

Finding an English speaking stylist will not be a major issue at all.

My wife has used these 2 on occasion and seemed to be quite pleased.

Zsidró salon and Toni&Guy not sure were you will be staying so not sure if they will be close for you but you can take a look here.

http://www.zsidro.net/en/

www.toniandguy.hu/index.php…

Now if your are looking for something modern and young my daughter's went here last year and were happy it is called Hairclub ... https:/…391280184287011

Hope this helped

SEBESZ

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,556 posts
182 reviews
6. Re: recommendations for an English speaking hairdresser?

Hello europe-chick

Forgot to add ugyved2's advice above is not a bad suggestion I do believe that is how she found the salon's on a recommendation by our hotels concierge.

So maybe it may work for you also

Best

SEBESZ

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
571 posts
65 reviews
7. Re: recommendations for an English speaking hairdresser?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, very much appreciated.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,556 posts
182 reviews
8. Re: recommendations for an English speaking hairdresser?

@europe-chick

Thats great and if you find a hairdresser you like let us know on the forum since this question does come up from time to time.

Best

SEBESZ

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,410 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: recommendations for an English speaking hairdresser?

My wife and I believe that the best hair dresser either of us has ever used is a marvelous, English-fluent, guy named Tamas Nagy in his shop at the Bank Center building not far from the US Embassy or Parliament. It is called Headquarters, and you are best served making an appointment (with Tamas, not the others there) by calling him at +36 70 531 1520. Hugely talented guy. My wife schedules her trips to Budapest in large measure around visiting him. My own hair has a natural tendency to resemble that of Bozo the Clown; Tamas is the first hair cutter in my 60 years who manages to cut it in a manner that does not leave me looking as though my toe was stuck in an electric socket 10 days after my last haircut ... his last me 2 months and more. But, again, it's my wife who is the more serious judge and she's utterly won over.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
301 posts
165 reviews
10. Re: recommendations for an English speaking hairdresser?

A second to John Farago's recommendation: when we moved to Budapest last year, we looked for an English speaking hairdresser/barber since our language skills were minimal. We found Tamas Nagy and have used him almost monthly since.

Reply to: recommendations for an English speaking hairdresser?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted