We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to wear in baths?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
what to wear in baths?

I read that flip flops are recommended. I was curious what kind of swim suits adults(38) wear at the baths. Can women wear 2 piece suites? Can men wear bathing shorts that are not speedos in orientation?

Halifax Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to wear in baths?

Yes to both Questions

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to wear in baths?

Thanks for the info

Calgary
Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to wear in baths?

We went from Canada and it was interesting to see that the men all wore speedo's and the women either wore bikini's or one peice suits.

My husband and I felt sort of strange as he wore boarder shorts and I wore a tankini...

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to wear in baths?

I just wore a normal swimming costume, but I saw people wearing all sorts of things.

NJ
Level Contributor
84 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to wear in baths?

Most guys wore speedos at the bath I went to, but there were even a few chaps prancing about rather unself-consciously in what was clearly just underwear. Be prepared for some interesting sights! :-) But I wouldn't worry about your swimsuits. I usually wear tankinis, too, which aren't so common in Europe, but it doesn't really matter. Pretty much anything goes.

Re: the flip flops...make sure you bring an extra pair. They won't let you wear the ones that you walk in with on your feet (your "street" shoes), and then you'll be stuck walking on slimy floors indoors or having to buy a pair.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to wear in baths?

hi,

im so embarassed, but i have to ask this, since i have no idea about it, but could someone tell me what a tankini is?

Nutley, New Jersey
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to wear in baths?

Don't be... A Tankini is that two piece bathing suit with a typical bikini bottom but a top modeled after a "tank-top", covering the lower toso as well. The fabric usually comes to almost the top of the bottom piece (I realize that doesn't sound right...?). They are very popular here on the East Coast of the US (since about five years ago). They're great because they are as convenient as a bikini, but provide much more coverage on the torso.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to wear in baths?

oh, i see. :) thanks for the explanation, i really didnt know that.

s-tee

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,651 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to wear in baths?

It's a cpuple of years since I was in a spa in Budapest, but some (e.g. the Gellert) make you wear a bathing hat - this applies to guys as well.

You can buy them at the baths, they make you look seriously silly.