We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please recommend place to eat near opera

ontario
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
please recommend place to eat near opera

Hello

We are attending a musical theatre performance in the Opera area and as this is our very first day in Budapest, I would like to plan ahead for a place to get a reasonably priced and quick meal in this area before the performance.

Does anyone have any favourite restaurants nearby?

Thank you

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
345 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: please recommend place to eat near opera

Is the exact location the Opera House (on Andrassy) or elsewhere?

ontario
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: please recommend place to eat near opera

It is close to Andrassy... on Nagymezo

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
643 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: please recommend place to eat near opera

On metro line one close to the curiosly named Opera station..

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,281 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: please recommend place to eat near opera

Several choices...

Immediately adjacent to the Operetta Theatre is a rather good restaurant called Pesti Diszo ...

Out to Andrassy, across the street on Andrassy and you are within a block of Klassz; no reservations but you won't need one before the performance

Or continue across on Nagymezo, on the right side of Nagymezo, Ket Szerecsen

Of the three, Ket Szerecsen perhaps best meets your description ... low-key, reasonable, pleasant; the other two are a bit more costly, Klassz perhaps a bit more upscale than the others...

Or, also on Nagymezo, away from Andrassy (with your back to the Operetta, go right on Nagmezo about a block, Cafe Eklektika...

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: please recommend place to eat near opera

Callas Cafe is immediately adjacent to the Opera. They anticipate opera guests and run their hours accordingly. Most performances end about 10 pm and a lot of restaurants close not much later than that. Nice outside venue when the weather is good. Food was so so a few years ago but had increased markedly the last two visits. They even had the old Belcanto muscians playing. Call and make a reservation. Dont even have to give them a time. Just say after the opera. Its 30 feet away.

ontario
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: please recommend place to eat near opera

Thank you for all your suggestions.

We are staying at Boscolo on Oszar (near Rakoczi)). What would be the best way for us to get to the Opera area. I read online that the area in which the hotel is is not that nice at night. Is it safe for us (2 women) to walk? How long of a walk would it be? Or how about the metro?

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,281 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: please recommend place to eat near opera

If you are at the Boscolo on the Korut (the only boscolo I know in budapest, which I think of as the New York - near Rakoczi, on the Korut), then it's not a bad walk, safe and well lit along the Korut to Oktogon (take a right as you exit the front of the hotel onto the Korut) ... At Oktogon, turn left onto Andrassy...if going to the Operetta Theatre as I believe you suggested, then Nagymezo is two blocks down Andrassy, and turn right on Nagymezo and you should see the marquee. About a 10-15 minute walk. Or take th 4/6 tram in tat direction, to Oktogon. The follow the directions from Oktogon. There is no good wy to do the metro between those locations.

If going to the Operetta, Callas is about 5 minutes away and a good deal more costly than eklektika, for example. Iff your goal is comparatively inexpensive and pre-performance, as your initial post suggests, I would check out Pesti Diszno since its next door and you can check the menu, and fall back to Eklektika if you want something cheaper and a bit younger. There is also a restaurant directly across from the Operetta theater - the Kommedia - where many performers hang out after the show, but it's a bit more expensive. Food is not bad....for excellent food and a warm welcome, comparable price to Callas or a bit lower, Cafe Bouchon is about two blocks further on Nagymezo, away from Andrassy, at Zichy Jeno Utca, turn right on Zichy and you will see the Illy sign and that's Bouchon. Also open after the performance, just mention it when you book. No singers, though.

Edited: 09 March 2012, 22:07
ontario
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: please recommend place to eat near opera

Thanks for the excellent suggestions as where to dine the first night we are in Budapest. These are very helpful. I think we may try Cafe Bouchon.

The helpulness of the posters to this forum never cease to amaze me!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: please recommend place to eat near opera

John: I'm not certain, but I think they are talking about cutting on the Diagonal fron the New York (Boscolo) to the Opera District, which I would not recommend at night, especially for two women. It is not well lit and is relatively easy to get lost in.

Step out of the hotel and take the tram that is heading to your right. Ride it to Oktogon and transfer to the Metro to the Opera stop. From there you can walk anywhere in safety.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,281 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: please recommend place to eat near opera

donbacsi is absolutely right that the small streets can be dark, and somehow nothing comes out where you were expecting ... it's common in cities on rivers where the street run in semi-circular arcs ...

but the path i described ... along the Great Ringroad (Nagykorut) -- which changes its name along the way but is called Erzsebet korut there in front of the Boscolo, is easy to walk, well-lit, and on a pleasant evening and easy walk to Oktogon, a very large intersection ...

Now, everyone seems to feel you are going to Opera because you mentioned that Metro stop in your original post, but you say you are going to a musical theater production, which sounds more like the Operetta Theatre, especially since you mention Nagymezo. If so, there is no point to transferring to the Metro at Oktogon, because Nagymezo is as close to Oktogon as it is to Opera (more or less)...

So, whether you walk or take the tram, you will be going to the right as you come out of your hotel and you are going to the very large, roughly octagonal, intersection called Oktagon

The large boulevard that intersects the Nagykorut at Oktogon is Andrassy ut, a fabled street (if you have ever seen the film The Shop Around the Corner with Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullivan, the corner the shop was around was on Andrassy ut; and if you haven't seen it, you should...it's the film that You've Got Mail was based on, but they moved it boringly out of Budapest).

As you walk the Nagykorut with the hotel behind you, take a left onto Andrassy, and you should walk down Andrassy past a Burger King (which sits at the far corner where it meets the Nagykorut)...walk two blocks and that should be Nagymezo -- semi-pedestrianized here but watch out for the buses and taxis. Take a right onto Nagymezo and you will see the Moulin Rouge nightclub and just beyond it the Operetta Theatre. Keep going two more blocks and you get to Zichy Jeno where Bouchon is.

It's a great area with lots of cafes and restaurants and on Andrassy there are grand shops like the Alexandra bookstore with its absolutely astonishing second floor cafe and patisserie.

But again, donbacsi is correct that wandering off on small streets or taking shortcuts will only take you longer and get you lost until you have it all mastered during daylight.