We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Budapest to Vienna

Santa Monica
Level Contributor
122 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Budapest to Vienna

I am on the following website: http://www.mav-start.hu/english/index.php

and have actaully found the train that I want. I've even entered in # of persons and birthday but for the life of me can't figure out how to advance it to atually purchase the tickets. Does anyone have experience on this? We're trying to book for 2 on April 27th.

Thanks!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,443 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

There are no compartments on the rail jet

First class:

vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/…OeBB_Ampz-1990-6.php

Second class:

vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/A/OeBB_Bmpz-2290-2-4…

As you can see, they are pretty much identical

Schweinfurt, Germany
2 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

On the OBB site, first class was as low as 58E while 2nd class could be purchasd for as low as 38E. From those pictures it seems like 2nd class will work just fine.

As I searched and planned tonite I've decided to begin the train from Munich and spend a few days in Vienna before continuing on to Budapest. I'm not sure of the best way to book this.

Since I'd start in Munich I went to the DB Bahn website. I had a problem booking Munich to Budapest by way of Vienna because it defaulted to the same 48 hour stopover on the way back. If I stopover on the outbound leg am I unable to return to Munich directly, or with just a minimal, standard stopover?

There didn't seem to be an option to 'edit' the return travel. Would you use DB Bahn or some other site to book the most economically if you were going to make this trip? I speak a little Spanish, so I'm limited by my language.

thanks for any feedback on this.

regards,

Marshall

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,443 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

You should be able to book tickets for €19 second class and €29 first class from Vienna to Budapest on-line in advance - when are you travelling? As this leg of the journey commences in Austria, it makes sense to buy it from Austrian Railways www.oebb.at - the discounted prices have little green shamrocks next to them, and are available up to 92 days before travel.

If you want to pay the full price which are the prices that you mention, you can buy them on the day.

Edited: 10 June 2011, 04:06
34. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 05:46