We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Budapest to Vienna

Santa Monica
Level Contributor
122 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Budapest to Vienna

I am on the following website: http://www.mav-start.hu/english/index.php

and have actaully found the train that I want. I've even entered in # of persons and birthday but for the life of me can't figure out how to advance it to atually purchase the tickets. Does anyone have experience on this? We're trying to book for 2 on April 27th.

Thanks!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

@GCEK

there is no information regarding my question found on the link you posted

Edited: 15 March 2011, 16:39
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,460 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

well it is a bit of a lottery whether there are any €13 tickets left or not by the time you get to the counter - the sooner you get there in person to buy a ticket the more chance you have. When those have gone, they go up to €19 and so on.

As I said above and as per the link I posted, it is apparently possible to book on-line, but good luck to you working it out.

I'm afraid that is as far as I am able to help you on this one.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

Thanks GCEK for the information!

Just curious to know if the €13 are only exclusively available online.

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
506 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

No, the 13Euro tickets are not exclusively available online. They can be purchased at a ticket counter or over the internet.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

Thanks Mutiny for the information

Philadelphia...
6 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

I'm in a similiar situation and what I've found is that you are not able to purchase the train ticket online with a foreign credit card at this time. Here's what the agent sent me with regards to ticket prices:

---

Between Budapest and Wien, there is a discount ticket called "Fortuna": it costs 13 EUR/person/way on the 2nd class, including seat reservation. It is a limited offer.

There is another discount offer called "Kirándulójegy" (Trip Ticket in English): it is valid for 4 days for a return journey on the 2nd class. With this ticket you can also use the public transportation of Wien for free in the first two days of the validity. The Trip Ticket costs 31 EUR. The Trip Ticket without the public transport in Wien costs 25 EUR.

Normal Fares

one way

2 nd class 36,8 EUR

1 st class 58 EUR

return

2 nd class 73,6 EUR

1 st class 116 EUR

Seat reservation is optional, it is a further 3 EUR/person/way.

In our international ticket offices you can pay for the tickets in Hungarian Forint or in Euro, too. The actual currency rate is the following: 1 EUR = 270 HUF.

---

I'm probably going to buy from RailEurope and pay their markup so it's one less thing to worry about. If you're willing to gamble and/or not traveling on the weekend, you can probably get the tickets a lot less at the ticket counter.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,460 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

Are you crazy, or made of money? :) It is difficult to buy a ticket on-line, but you can always get a ticket on the day, or if you go a couple of days before to buy a ticket you can easily get a ticket for €13 - you don't need to buy a full price ticket - if buy some unusual chance all the discounted tickets have gone, just buy a €25 return ticket, which are unlimited in number, and just don't use the return section.

With Rail Europe you will pay €61,80 for a second class ticket, which is more than the standard 1st class ticket - it makes no sense at all. Never, ever use Rail Europe.

Not sure what you mean by 'willing to gamble' -what is there to gamble on??

Edited: 25 May 2011, 23:33
Philadelphia...
6 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

Haha, I wish it was the latter =) I suppose my hesitation for waiting for the day of is the horror stories I read on various forums of IC tickets being sold out on Fridays in July because it's a very popular trip to take from Budapest to Vienna in the summer time. I'd rather not get stuck on local train that takes 5 hours or end up arriving in Vienna much later than I originally hoped for. I'm going to call my hotel tomorrow to see if they can help with the reservation and simply put it on my bill when I check out.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,460 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

Trains cannot sell out ... and to my knowledge there are no local trains taking 5 hours :) There are regular expresses and it would have to be very unusual to be full - if you are worried about it being full just turn up at the station about 20 minutes before departure and you can take your pick of seats - very few people reserve as there is not a lot of point. Be sure that your hotel will charge you a hefty commission. For times see www.idos.cz

Edited: 26 May 2011, 00:47
Schweinfurt, Germany
2 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

I was working my way through booking rail from Vienna to Budapest on the OBB website. I chose inexpensive first class seats, but then I had choices I didn't understand. I had to choose a compartment and then seats. I think the compartments were called wagons. I don't know which seats are preferable; I'm just traveling with my cousin and am looking for quiet comfort and a nice view. If you know your way around the seating for these Railjet trains please let me know.Thanks.