We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Budapest to Vienna

Santa Monica
Level Contributor
122 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Budapest to Vienna

I am on the following website: http://www.mav-start.hu/english/index.php

and have actaully found the train that I want. I've even entered in # of persons and birthday but for the life of me can't figure out how to advance it to atually purchase the tickets. Does anyone have experience on this? We're trying to book for 2 on April 27th.

Thanks!

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

You cant. Mainly because there is no english language user interface for the actual process. It also requires registration.

https:/…

Or are you past this point?

Edited: 10 March 2011, 02:13
Santa Monica
Level Contributor
122 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

The link that you had was all in Hungarian and I couldn't find a translate page.

I actually did find a translation to something that was on my initial page just now and it said that international ordering was down - don't know if that means just for today or forever...

But I couldn't find a way to register in English. Alas, I might just have to wait until I get there.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

It was in hungarian, to show that it doesnt have english version. In that interface, you can choose the trip, the reductions, the return trip, etc, and then pay on the site of a local bank (OTP), which is also only in hungarian. This is through what you must pay:

…vatera.hu/v2/images/help/tutorial/bm07.png

As you can see, no language options, and I doubt the system would accept foreign bank cards.

Santa Monica
Level Contributor
122 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

Thanks for your help. My hotel had given me this link but I guess they weren't aware.

Dyan

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
506 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

The MAV website only allows Hungarian Citizens/Residents to book train tickets online and they must be paid with a Hungarian Bank issued credit card. It is just the way it is!

You could possibly try the Austrian rail website (www.oebb.at/en) but I am not sure you can purchase tickets online that originate outside of Austria.

Ultimately, it will be much simpler to buy your tickets when you arrive in Budapest. The most tourist friendly location is the MAV Downtown office on Joszef Atilla utca, which is open from 9-5 on Mon-Fri. Tickets will not sell out - they rarely do.

Level Contributor
2,863 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

The hotel concierge will do it without hassle if you have access to one. They

are very good at it and cost is not that much more.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

you are on the wrong page. go to the main MAV page...click the English flag and you can book a train to go anywhere in Europe.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

The "mav page" will redirect after pressing the "tickets" button on the timetable to the site I quoted earlier, and as you can see it, its only in hungarian, you need registration for it (again, in hungarian), and you can pay probably with only hungarian bank card.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,000 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

MAV is, nonetheless, slowly clawing its way forward towards actually being able to do international transactions online...

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,334 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

If you buy it at least three days before travel, either at the station or at a MAV office in the centre (instructions given to the top left) it should cost €13, otherwise €19

You can't buy this ticket from the Austrian Railways site unless bought as a return in conjunction with a Vienna-Budapest ticket.

If you use Google Chrome as your browser it will give the option of automatically translating the page, and a Hungarian speaker on this forum could probably explain what the following means with regard to payment by credit card (I can't see from this why only a Hungarian card might be valid):

Az OTP Banktól kapott hivatalos tájékoztatás szerint a következő kártyatípusokat fogadja el a rendszerük:

Visa (dombornyomott)

EuroCard/MasterCard (dombornyomott)

American Express (dombornyomott)

Electron (nem dombornyomott), kibocsátótól függően - ezen kártyák esetében a kibocsátó bank határozza meg, hogy lehetővé teszi-e a kártya internetes használatát. Amennyiben az Ön kártyáját kibocsátó bank engedélyezte az interneten való kártyahasználatot, Ön természetesen fizethet internetes rendszerünkben Electron kártyájával. Pontos információért kérjük, forduljon a kártyáját kibocsátó bankhoz. Az OTP Bank által kibocsátott kártyák természetesen elfogadhatók.

Maestro (nem dombornyomott) kibocsátótól függően - ezen kártyák esetében a kibocsátó bank határozza meg, hogy lehetővé teszi-e a kártya internetes használatát. Amennyiben az Ön kártyáját kibocsátó bank engedélyezte az interneten való kártyahasználatot, Ön természetesen fizethet internetes rendszerünkben Maestro kártyájával. Pontos információért kérjük, forduljon a kártyáját kibocsátó bankhoz. Az OTP Bank által kibocsátott kártyák természetesen elfogadhatók.