We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest to Bratislava by train

North West, UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Budapest to Bratislava by train

I have been searching on the internet to work out all the little details for our trip next month where we will visit Budapest, Bratislava, Vienna and Berlin.

We have decided to take the train to Bratislava and have been advised against using raileurope and came across the site ehow.com

This says you can get a single 1st class train ticket from Budapest to Bratislava for 1500-2000HUF. This seems very cheap to me (only £4/£5). Can someone tell me if this is correct?

Thanks

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
606 posts
1. Re: Budapest to Bratislava by train

I think it must be a little more but not much more. the cheapest 2nd class return is 16 euros (~13 gbp)

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
31,234 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Budapest to Bratislava by train

Yes, it is a bit more than that - €16 is the cheapest you will get - it is a return ticket, but cheaer than buying the ine-way. Fforget about 1st class - it is pretty much identical to second but more expensive.

There is not a lot to see in Bratislava - you can do it in an afternoon - and you can get your ticket when you get there to Vienna - it is €11 (or €14 if you want a one-day Vienna travel pass) - again return, but cheaper than a single. Trains go very regularly. On your way from Vienna to Berlin you will pass through Brno and Prague. Brno is well worth a stop - there is a lot more to see and do there than Bratislava, for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lklJMAUb7k - you need a few days there, though.

For all times the most user-friendly site is www.idos.cz

Ignore that ehow site - it is full of adverts for Rail Europe (massive rip off) and lots of incorrect/misleading information.

This is probably the best site for European rail information http://europetrainsguide.com/

From Vienna to Berlin it costs from €29 oebb.at/pv/…index.jsp

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,234 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Budapest to Bratislava by train

I have been looking through that ehow site and I have never seen such misinformed and misleading tosh in my life - it would be funny if it was not written as a supposed informative site. I tried putting a couple of posts warning about Rail Europe on there (as they give it pride of place) and surprise surprise they disappeared very quickly :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
173 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: Budapest to Bratislava by train

So one should always check the round trip against the one way tickets because they're often cheaper? I'm finding price checking for trains to be a lot of work.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,234 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Budapest to Bratislava by train

Not always - which other prices were you having problems with?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
516 posts
6. Re: Budapest to Bratislava by train

Nice to have an expert who keeps selling Brno even though that has nothing to do with the question......and trashing Bratislava in the process.....

Edited: 03 July 2010, 03:37
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,410 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Budapest to Bratislava by train

Despite navscan's unjustified critique (I for one found gcek's response directly on point), it should be noted that gcek's expertise immeasurably aids this forum, consistently, methodically, and swiftly

High Spen, UK
Level Contributor
326 posts
118 reviews
8. Re: Budapest to Bratislava by train

I filled a good 4 days in Bratislava, its nice and has the same feel of Budapest (although looks very different) Brno looks lovely, I would like to go there but I tend to go where the cheap flights take me :-)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
173 posts
54 reviews
9. Re: Budapest to Bratislava by train

The Slovak train line will quote a cheaper price between Budapest and Bratislava but say you've got to get the ticket in Hungary etc. Mav.hu quotes 24+ euros and maybe 3 euros for a reservation. So, naturally, you want the 16 euros Slovak quotes. I'll say this though both train lines are very good and quick at responding to emails. I didn't understand the email from oebb.at. I want to go from Vienna to Linz and stay 2 nights and go on to Salzburg for 1 night and then return to Vienna. There's some kind of ticket for 39 euros versus maybe 150 euros +/-. It's the kind of deal you have to read over again because they got very verbose with their hypotheticals. The 3 one ways add up to 158.20 euros. This is where a savy travel agent could earn their fee.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,234 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: Budapest to Bratislava by train

Thanks johnfarago - the same goes for your goodself :) I'm not rubbishing Bratislava - it is fine for a day trip, but there are so many fabulous places in Slovakia and Bratislava doesn't get near the top of the list (it isn't even featured in Slovakia's official video...) To many people in this neck of the woods saying you are going on holiday there invokes the same reaction as if you said you were going to Middlesbrough. But anyway ...

Re. ticket Budapest - Bratislava. indeed the single fare is €24 or thereabouts, but the return fare is cheaper at €16 - some bilateral agreement. So make sure you ask for a return.

Going off - topic again for the next bit - There is no ticket that I know of that will get you from Vienna - Salzburg and return with a stop off in Linz for €39 - maybe you could post the wording of the e-mail in the Austria forum? I know that you can 'cheat' and get a ticket from Vienna to Munich for €29 and get off in Salzburg, and then back again, using a similar 'cheat' buy a €39 ticket from Salzburg to Budapest and get off in Vienna - all in advance from www.oebb.at However this doesn't factor in Linz. I doubt whether a travel agent would help on this one as in my experience they go directly to Raileurope who pay good commission to the travel agent and rip off the customers.

Edited: 04 July 2010, 05:55