We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orangeways Bus BUD to Vienna - Cheap, Comfortable, AWESOME!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
292 posts
68 reviews
Orangeways Bus BUD to Vienna - Cheap, Comfortable, AWESOME!

We are just back from a spectacular trip that included 4 nights in beautiful Budapest, and before we left I had been searching out the most economical option for travel between Budapest and Vienna. I'd found a company called Orangeways Bus but couldn't find many reviews about it online. Here is my review:

We waited until we got to Budapest before making the decision for how to travel a few days later to Vienna (bus vs. train). First, we went to Keleti pu train station to price out the train and were quoted a rate of 10,000 HUF per person (roughly USD$51 or €38). Side note: I tried to book the ÖBB special €19/per person online rate before we left on the trip, but was unable to do so.

Later in the afternoon, we took the Metro (M3 line) to the Nepliget station and followed the Orangeways Bus signs to their bus station/ticket office (which is right at the top of the Nepliget metro stairs). We were able to book 2 seats on the noon bus for the next day from Budapest to Vienna and the price per person was 2110 HUF per person (roughly USD$11 or €8).

The following day we got to the bus station again via metro, loaded up on the bus around 11:45, and it departed promptly at 12:00 pm. The bus was spotlessly clean, comfortable, and there was a stewardess on board who was super friendly, multi-lingual, and never stopped smiling. She passed out free headphones with which to watch the movie and came around a few times offering complimentary coffee beverages (made to order in some sort of espresso machine). The ride took exactly 3 hours as advertised (same amount of time as the train, I believe), and dropped us off in Vienna at the Südtiroler Platz, which has a U-bahn metro stop right there that can get you to the Opera House in about 5 minutes.

Based on our experience, I cannot recommend Orangeways highly enough, especially if you are traveling on a budget. The money savings alone was compelling enough reason to give it a whirl, and we are so glad we did.

A few notes:

- The sign on the ticket office door indicated they (just the ticket office) are closed on Saturdays and Sundays, something to keep in mind if you need to get tickets once you are in Budapest.

- We were charged an additional 600 HUF for 2 pieces of luggage (300 HUF each)

- I believe you can book advance tickets online at http://www.orangeways.com

Hope this review is helpful to others. For us, it couldn't have been easier or more economical and I'm happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Happy travels!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
6,100 posts
108 reviews
1. Re: Orangeways Bus BUD to Vienna - Cheap, Comfortable, AWESOME!

Thank you very much for the great information.

sydney
Level Contributor
153 posts
75 reviews
2. Re: Orangeways Bus BUD to Vienna - Cheap, Comfortable, AWESOME!

Thank you for that recomendation. We are finding it impossible to book a cheap online rail ticket to Vienna from Budapest and do not want to spend what little time we have in Budapest trying to do it, but the bus sounds simple!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
234 posts
155 reviews
3. Re: Orangeways Bus BUD to Vienna - Cheap, Comfortable, AWESOME!

thank you so much. my friends and i will be traveling from budapest to vienna on june 25th and couldn't book train tickets online. we might go for orangeways. plus, they also has a sleeper bus from prague to budapest as well. grateful for the info!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
292 posts
68 reviews
4. Re: Orangeways Bus BUD to Vienna - Cheap, Comfortable, AWESOME!

Glad to hear the information is useful, and I hope others who travel with Orangeways experience the same pleasant ride.

Something to note: just the other day I recieved a private message from a fellow traveler who tried booking bus tickets online. They got to the booking screen but then their transaction was denied. I was told a message came up that said they could not book with a non-Hungarian credit card.

I had no insight to offer this person, given we purchased our tickets directly from Orangeways after we arrived in Budapest AND we paid cash. So if anyone has any light or experience to shed to this, I'm sure there are others out there who might benefit from the intel.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
31,078 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Orangeways Bus BUD to Vienna - Cheap, Comfortable, AWESOME!

Note to a cpouple of posters above - you can't book Budapest - Vienna only on OEBB - you can only do that in conjunction with a ticket from Vienna - Budapest as a return and it must be validated as such. A return ticket from Budapest-Vienna-Budapest costs €31 and the tickets are unlimited - buy on the day. One way from Budapest to Vienna is €13 - buy a couple of days in advance at the station - whatever, the standard price bought on the day shouldn't cost much more than €20.

In short, you just buy the ticket in Budapest at the station as normal - you can't buy any tickets from Hungary on-line and even if it is possible, for domestic journeys there is no advantage in doing so

europetrainsguide.com/Countries/Hungary/Hung…

Very few people even reserve in this part of the world, and trains cannot 'sell out'!

Edited: 30 April 2010, 16:25
Alesund, Norway
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Orangeways Bus BUD to Vienna - Cheap, Comfortable, AWESOME!

I took Orangeways from Budapest Nepliget to Vienna airport couple of times recently. it was 220 km and they reach you in 2.5 hours. They play a movie, give earphones and 2 coffee/cappucinos/hot chocolate. There is also a menu to buy from - not much expensive compared to super market prices.

I booked all the time over the internet with my credit card. You pay 1 Euro each for first 2 luggage and then 7 Euro. It is cheaper than Eurolines/Volanbusz plying the same route.

The BUS EVEN HAS WI-FI, i was told. Highly recommend

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
314 posts
110 reviews
7. Re: Orangeways Bus BUD to Vienna - Cheap, Comfortable, AWESOME!

Is there a bathroom on the bus? If you are not worried about the money difference which is better the bus or the train?

Thanks

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
234 posts
155 reviews
8. Re: Orangeways Bus BUD to Vienna - Cheap, Comfortable, AWESOME!

Thank you very much, just booked my orangeway bus tickets from Prague to Budapest (sleeper train). I'm sure there's a bathroom in the bus, and I'm booking my Budapest to Vienna tickets today as well. Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
292 posts
68 reviews
9. Re: Orangeways Bus BUD to Vienna - Cheap, Comfortable, AWESOME!

Yes, there was a bathroom on the bus. I did not personally use it but saw where it was and it is pretty tiny. Like someone put an airplane bathroom in the clothes dryer and shrunk it. We were also instructed at the beginning of our trip that if we did need to use the facility, to please restrict our use to, ahem, Number One only.

Larover, if money is not an issue then I would probably consider the train for one reason only: trains don't get held up by traffic. And while we sailed through on the bus and made it in 3 hours as promised, I'm not familiar enough with traffic patterns outside of Vienna or Budapest to know if we got lucky or not.

And Crismanila & Gsenthil, thanks for reporting that you had success in booking tickets online with a non-Hungarian credit card.

SGPhilly
2 posts
10. Re: Orangeways Bus BUD to Vienna - Cheap, Comfortable, AWESOME!

Hi! Thanks so much for the information. I wanted to go from Vienna airport to Budapest on orangeways. My flight lands at 10:15am in Vienna - do you think I can make the 11:30am bus to Budapest? Any help would be great! I'm headed there next week!!

Thanks!