We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dress code? what to pack?

birmingham uk
Level Contributor
633 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
dress code? what to pack?

We will be arriving in Budapest on the 2nd of September.

Does Budapest have a "dress code" unofficial or otherwise?

We are thirtysomething and planning on sightseeing and eating out in niceish places, but not trendy!

WHat is the weather likely to be like- So far the longest range forecast i can find online is 10 days.

Thankyou for your help

L

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dress code? what to pack?

my crystal ball says that the weather will include tornadoes interspersed with glorious springlike sunshine and hailstones the size of VWs

more seriously, it's likely to be a lot like birmingham, and no more predictable

dress in budapest is comparatively casual; slacks and a dress shirt by no tie, or with a tie, or with a jacket and no tie; slacks, jacket and tie are infrequent but not so rare as to seem stuffy; for women comparably casual conservative dress will work fine

in niceish places i'd avoid shorts and halter tops and bare feet...

on the streets and at most sights other than churches and the like pretty much anything will fit in

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dress code? what to pack?

Have a look at that crystal ball again and tell us what's going to win the 2.30 at Ascot on monday :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,060 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dress code? what to pack?

I'd say you can also add trendy graphic ts and stylish jeans to john's listing...

I'd agree it's best to stay away from shorts.

Additionally, i typically tell Americans should avoid sneakers, but i suspect you already know that.

I don't think the dress code in Budapest is any different from anywhere else in europe. Their dress is a bit more unique...you may or may not like it.

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dress code? what to pack?

I'm heading to Budapest next week and am packing sweat suits, jeans, long sleeve shirts, a leather jacket, shoe boots for night and SNEAKERS!

Should I rethink this?

I thought tourists everywhere wear sneakers to sightsee!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,352 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dress code? what to pack?

What are sneakers ? do you mean Trainers ? aka Sports shoes for the non-sporting.

If yes, that will be fine for the day, less so for the evening.

A pair of 'smart' casual trousers might come in handy.

budapest
Level Contributor
449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: dress code? what to pack?

I would also say that if the sneakers are italian style sport shoes they are fine, if typical big american type, i would rather leave them home... most european fine them eye sore to be honest...

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dress code? what to pack?

although most of the locals tend to go barefoot once the weather turns nasty, i'd say that sneakers will be perfectly acceptable for sightseeing

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dress code? what to pack?

Johfarago...are you kidding about the locals going barefoot?

ttile...I agree that the sports shoes are not always the most attractive, however, being a runner, I know that you can't beat them for comfort, cushion and support. I may be willing to sacrifice fashion for comfort for an evening out on the town, but not for an 8 hour day of sightseeing! I can't imagine that would be offensive to anyone. My feeling is, when in Rome...be yourself and appreciate the differences!

Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
43 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dress code? what to pack?

I wore a jacket and tie to dinner most nights, but few others did. Gundel may require a tie; Fodor or frommer says they do. There were only a few jackets, ties or suits on the gentlemen at the opera, too. It appears to me you can dress pretty much as you please.

Weather wise, who knows? Pack for a typcial continental autumn it could be anything from 5 or 10 C and drizzle to 25 and sunny.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dress code? what to pack?

yes, i was kidding about going barefoot

and, yes, Gundel does require a jacket

and while it is true that even at the opera there are comparatively few suits and ties, there are quite a number, likely a plurality, of people who wear a tie but no jacket or a jacket but no tie...

i will refrain from commenting on Budapest women's attire beyond saying that the last gasp of the whalebone market must be in Hungary somewhere...