We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many Days in Budapest

New Orleans
Level Contributor
251 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How many Days in Budapest

I am planning on visiting Budapest in the spring. How many days should I plan to be there? What are some good side trips?

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
11,206 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many Days in Budapest

If you are planning to make this one-in-a-lifetime visit then minumum 3 full days.

When you say side trips, do you mean overnight or just day trips ?

Vienna is only 3 hours by train, but imo is an overnighter.

Ditto Pecs.

Eger is doable in a day.

Szentendre and the Danube bend can also be done in a day.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,749 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many Days in Budapest

It really depends on your interests. You could easily spend several weeks there. Or - if it isn't to your taste, only a few days.

Tell us a bit more about your interests and we may be able to give you more specific advice.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many Days in Budapest

Both previous answers are right on. I'll be visiting for my 6th or 8th time (including living there twice) this winter. I have 9 days planned (including a side trip) and I know I won't think that's enough. On the other hand, many tourists just back from their first trip say 5-6 days is too much.

Again, it depends on your interests - art, history, architecture, food.... If it's more that you just want to get a taste of BP, you can get a broad (but shallow) experience seeing the typical stuff in just 3 days.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How many Days in Budapest

I agree with others, I think three full days is needed. Just back from a trip to Hungary and the Czech Republic, I felt like Budapest needed more time to cover everything than Prague which I think can be done in two full days. We found Budapest to be a sprawling city with the major sights spread out compared to Prague which has a compact city center. In Prague we were able to walk everywhere but in Budapest we found ourselves taking advantage of the public transport a lot more. You could probably walk it all but then maybe more than three days is needed. Plus we spent an afternoon at one of the baths which I highly suggest, definitely a unique experience.

Europe
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How many Days in Budapest

I would go for at least 4 days. Budapest is very beautiful and there are some nice sites you may want to see. Anyway, it depends. What are your tastes, what would you like to do there etc.

EuropeWord

Budapest
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How many Days in Budapest

Let me think about it:)Definitely how long I am here it is too long:D

After 22 years Bp is boring now:)But...

Actually it would have been better if U visited Bp in the spring or summer.

U should visit some spas Gellért, Széchenyi or Rudas.

I can recommend some shiptrips, in the nightime it is wonderful....

legenda.hu/legenda/legenda_angol.main.page

Go to the Buda Castle, Opera and to the Heroes' square. They are "compulsory":)

There are many museums here, but everything dependson Ur taste...

I hope U will like this city:)and collect some good experiences:)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How many Days in Budapest

Yep, 3 full days is perfect. But the heavy rains can really ruin a day and make you lose time. If you're flex I would say 4 to 5 days is safe.

My full low down on Budapest:

I went to Budapest for three days with a friend this past summer. Here's some tips to NOT GET SCREWED OVER.

If you're hosteling, I strongly recommend the August Hostel where my friend and I stayed. hostelworld.com/availability.php/AugustHoste…

He is an owner from Chicago and told is how not to get scammed in Budapest and how to navigate around, which will really save you time and money. Not to scare you, Budapest was one of my favourite European destinations

TRANSPORTATION

If you're going for one or two days BUY A DAY PASS. If you're there for a few days, buy a 3-day pass.

We made the mistake of buying single tickets but you'll notice there are so many security guards telling tourists their single ticket isn't valid. Budapest makes millions from scamming tourists on the ticket system. But you can't go wrong when you buy a day pass or 3-day pass.

My friend and I got around beautifully by bike, you can travel damn fast and renting a bike is not expensive at the right place. Saves a hell of a lot of walking but metro is good too.

FOOD

Be careful which sit-down restaurants you go to. The owner told us he's had guests who have paid 100 euros for a meal. Sometimes they'll put drinks that you don't ask for and if you order extra things, watch out for your bill.

One of the best things you can buy is 2 euro falafels or kababs at the stands.

SIGHTS

If you're going to the bathhouses, I would strongly recommend at least 6 hours to go and relax. Most people we ran into were planning to go for 2 hours and ended up staying 4 or 6 hours

SAFETY

While Budapest is poor, it is one of the safest places we visited, even if you're a woman. My friend and I are both women in our early 20s and we went cycling around Budapest at until 1 am, it was fine. We know this not just by our experience but the hostel owner from Chicago who's been there told us so. Of course take your precautiaans, but no need to be totally paranoid.

Hope this helps, Budapest rocks.

8. Re: How many Days in Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 20:49