We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Wien to Budapest by ship

Montevideo
3 posts
Save Topic
From Wien to Budapest by ship

We were thinking to go from Wien to Budapest by train.Now somebody told us that it would be nice to do it sailing by the river.is it possible? is it very expensive?where could I get information?Thanks very much Martha

madrid
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Wien to Budapest by ship

To go from viena to budapest by ship try this website: www.mahart.hu

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Wien to Budapest by ship

its like 99 eur per way, so more expensive than the train, and not to mention, it takes 6,5 hours. (the train ride is 3 hours)

the hydrofoil does not run during wintertime.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Wien to Budapest by ship

I am in Budapest now and did the hydrofoil from Vienna to Budapest two days ago. Takes about 6 hours from check in at the Vienna dock to arrival in Budapest. We thought it was worth the extra time. It was neat to see some of the sites along the bank on the way. There are a couple of cities (Bratislava and Vysehrad) as well as going through the locks (took about 30 minutes where they lower you to the level of the next part of the Danube. There are a couple of old castles and some churches to see as well. I enjoyed the views along the Danube and watching the birds and swans were nice.

They stop twice, once in Bratislava and once at the docks. Both times you stay on the boat. The seats are like train or airline seats, plenty of leg room and the seat backs have tables. You can walk around and take pictures. They have a flat screen tv so you can monitor your progress and shows a map of the area. It also displays your speed. It maxes out at about 45 miles an hour.

There is food for sale, they take Euros or Hungarian Forint. We brought our own food purchased at the Nachtsmarkt in Vienna (a must visit in Vienna) so we only bought ice cream.

At the dock, there are two challenges. They drop the luggage off at the bottom of a flight of stairs. You have to lug your luggage up the stairs. This was challenging for the older folks on the boat. It would have been challenging for my girlfriend had I not lugged all of our luggage over several trips. Some just dragged their luggage hitting each step with their wheels. The other challenge is transportation when you get there. We had our hotel have a driver meet us. That is the best approach, since many folks are getting off at the same time and grabbing a cab can be challenging with everyone getting off and needing a cab.

The docks are downtown and the drive to the Kempinski Corvinus was only a couple of minutes.

Prices posted at the doc where @100 euros per person. We payed @178 US dollars online at http://www.hotels-in-budapest-hungary.com prior to tour trip. I booked way in advance, so I don't know if prices changed.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Wien to Budapest by ship

I just looked at my information and I had the price wrong on the Hydrofoil, it was 187 Euro for two. So, it is close to the posted price at the dock. All other information is right.

5. Re: From Wien to Budapest by ship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 00:50