We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest card - worth it?

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
26 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest card - worth it?

I was just wondering if anyone has bought the Budapest Card (free transport, access to museums etc) & whether they thought it was worth it? I'm going to be there for 2 full days in July & am considering the 48 hour card.

Also, does anyone know of any good & reasonably priced restaurants where a vegetarian can eat without difficulty?

Thank you!

Hide
Travellers interested in this topic also viewed...
australia
Level Contributor
608 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest card - worth it?

hey, we got a budapest card when there in january, thought it was ok...not as good as some other city pass type options...a lot of the places you just got a small discount on entry etc...

on the restaurant front i am a veggie and ate at vegetarium www.vegetarium.hu which we really enjoyed. We also ate at thai and at fat moes jazz club.

j

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest card - worth it?

I don't recommend the budapest card unless you are a big museum person. Most of the sites participating aren't ones a first time visitor would go to and won't save you money in the end. I do however STRONGLY encourage you to buy transit passes on a daily basis rather than a per ride basis.

Budapest is a hard city to be a vegetarian in.. Hungarian cuisine is based on meat and cream sauces. Other's have posted recommendations in the past...I've never had to deal with it, but just want you to be prepared for dirty looks if you walk into a random restaurant lookign for vegetarian food.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
26 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest card - worth it?

Yeah I'm pretty used to that in other parts of Europe but I always manage!

Thanks for the views, does anyone have any more information on the transport passes, or know where on the internet I could find it? I'm not planning on visiting too many museums so sounds like the Budapest Card might not be the best option. Thanks!

budapest
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest card - worth it?

We have had a few guests staying at one of our apartments who bought the Budapest Card. They found it to be a complete waste of money as;

1. Budapest is a walking city so they hardly made use of the transport benefits of the card. It would have been much cheaper if they had paid the tram or metro fares for the couple of times they traveled further, for example, to the other side of the river.

2. Some of the places that are supposed to accept this card (according the the card issuer) actually have a sign stating that it is not accepted. One example is the furnicular railway up to the Castle Area.

Also just for your information, please note that most, if not all museums are closed on Mondays, so if you will be here on a Monday, then the card would be completely useless for this purpose.

Sorry, but no advice concerning your vegetarian restaurant question, except that most decent restuarants can grill some veggies or put a salad together if you ask nicely.

Enjoy your stay in Budapest.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
351 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest card - worth it?

Buy a two day transit pass & take the excellent advice to forgo the Budapest card!

Your question re vegetarian restaurants has been answered within the past few months. Check this Forum to find those recommendations.

London
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest card - worth it?

Hi,

I would agree with budapestbrit, I purchased one on one of my first trips over and hardly used it. I would recommend the transit passes you can get.

LSx

Budapest
Level Contributor
429 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budapest card - worth it?

I fully agree that the Budapest Card is not worthwhile. Many public museums have permanent exhibitions that are free. Plus the reductions to the temporary exhibtiions aren't all that good unless you're planning on hitting up a good many in your short stay.

I getting suprised that many restaurants are actually deliniating portions of their menus to vegetarians. I believe the ones in Liszt Ter (near the Oktagon) are now all well familiar with veggie options. It's a great place to go on a warm day or night.

8. Re: Budapest card - worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 11:49