We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a bus or train to get from Budapest to Krakow?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Is there a bus or train to get from Budapest to Krakow?

I did a search in goeuro.com and nothing came up. I know there is a plane to Warsaw, but we would prefer going directly to Krakow. Any help will be appreciated.

8 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
154 reviews
1. Re: Is there a bus or train to get from Budapest to Krakow?

Do not use a third party. Go to the Hungarian Rail site which is www.mav-cosport.hu or look up Flixibus and see if they go there. Always best to book through Hungarian Rail to get best information a d prices. You can buy the tickets online and print themout on a machine at the station. When are you planning this trip. Tickets can be bought 90 days out or when you get to Budapest at the station.If the web address does not work Google Hungarian Railway.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Is there a bus or train to get from Budapest to Krakow?

Thank you so much for the tip. We found that the trains take a long time - I.e. not high speed trains. The buses are better. We are planning this trip for September- we have 3 weeks to spend in Poland and would like to know what are the must see cities. We were planning on Krakow, Warsaw and Gdańsk- but are not sure how to distribute the time in each city or if we should add another city.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
301 posts
165 reviews
3. Re: Is there a bus or train to get from Budapest to Krakow?

You referenced the flight to Warsaw but said you preferred a direct route to Krakow.

The same airline that flies to Warsaw, LOT, also has direct flights to Krakow from Budapest. I searched on the LOT website using the first week of September and each day except Thursday had a direct flight with prices starting at USD 75.00

The flight is an hour in duration according to the website.

Edited: 25 July 2018, 22:10
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
154 reviews
4. Re: Is there a bus or train to get from Budapest to Krakow?

Last summer when I investigated flights to Poland. I found I could fly Bud to Warsaw and then to Kracow. In order to return to Budapest I then had to first fly Kracow to Warsaw, then to Bud.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,969 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: Is there a bus or train to get from Budapest to Krakow?

I suggest asking the question about Polish cities on the Poland forum, you are likely to geta more informed answer there.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
301 posts
165 reviews
6. Re: Is there a bus or train to get from Budapest to Krakow?

As of May 2018

https://www.bud.hu/en/budapest_airport/media…

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Is there a bus or train to get from Budapest to Krakow?

Will do. Thank you very much. I also found that you have to go through Warsaw no matter what.

Last year I took a car service that was very helpful from Rovinj to Venice, is there such thing in Budapest that could take us to Krakow?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
154 reviews
8. Re: Is there a bus or train to get from Budapest to Krakow?

You probably will not find a car service unless you will use it to return you to Budapest. Do to the distance you will certainly pay double. The train is longer but you can at least go Budapest-Kracow-Warsaw, then I suggest you fly non-stop to Budapest if you are returning to Budapest.

Reply to: Is there a bus or train to get from Budapest to Krakow?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted