We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest tourism information

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest tourism information

Hello there. Travelling with my family to Budapest in August and will be staying at the Chain Brifge Sofitel. Wanted to know how to travel around the place, how the experience with local taxis have been, eateries close by and nearest attractions. Is August a good time of the year climate wise? What are the must see places (and the avoidable ones as well) that you could advise. Many thanks!

16 replies to this topic
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest tourism information

You have come to the right place for your inquiry. Yet your questions are many and varied, the best thing you can do is to read through the TOP QUESTIONS at the top right. Also use search function. Take your time doing so and come back here with specific questions, for yourself and for the experts and others who reply generously.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 12:56
Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest tourism information

Just be aware that August temperatures are nearly always too hot for comfortable daytime city sightseeing ... burning sun, 35 deg C, just like last year !

Its typical of my summer visits over five decades, I do it slowly, keep to shade and bars, do lots in evening light.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest tourism information

Could late August be better Laura ? Maybe not much.. i am invited Aug 18 to 21 at a friend's flat in central bp ( for Aug 20th holiday firework show ) and as typical Hungarian the place does not have air con, not even electric fan. If i was staying in a hotel, i would make sure to have air con... Budapest seems to have very severe summer, last year often close to 40 celcius. And a few days ago already about 35 or over, that friend told me.

Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest tourism information

No, whether it's early or late August won't matter, the heat is to be expected throughout. It usually only eases up starting from mid-September. But nothing is set in stone, it's possible, though unlikely, to have more favorable (or even flat-out rainy) weather at the time.

It's true temps nearing or even reaching 40C can occur, we usually get maybe a total of 2 weeks of such weather (not consecutively, but usually in at least 4-6 days long stretches) over the entirety of the season. Even though this is in the nature of the continental climate, it also makes climate change very tangible for us.

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest tourism information

Kat, I've just booked 10 days on Airbnb arriving 20th for fireworks !

East facing apartment / balcony (morning sun) so should be OK (despite no air con) in evening.

Its just 150m from metro M2 (Pillango utca), 950m from relatives I spend lots of time with.

Used to stay in a single air-con double bed room in rather run-down Hotel Eben for 55 - 60 GBP / night (400m from relatives) ... air-con was the only luxury.

The two room fully modernised apartment is just 35 GBP / night ... but no air con !

Not a single relative has air-con, and they manage ...

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest tourism information

Laura enjoy the fireworks ! I got invited last year but could not make it due to my work.

My flat in Geneva does not have air con either but at least have electric fans which work fine for the summer here, a bit cooler than BP.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,410 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budapest tourism information

The weather is as unpredictable in Budapest as elsewhere, but some generalizations do make sense. As a traveler, I think of Budapest and New York and Paris as being very similar, with August being the hottest month, and often the heat straggling into September. Recently, especially in Budapest, there have been hot spells in June, and this year is no exception (even in May), but the years when August has been hottest in Budapest it has been equally unpleasant across a broad swath of Europe.

But the sightseeing climate is one thing and the air conditioning climate quite another. Hot, bright sunny heat with long days can make walking around seeing sights be exactly what lauraeva suggests ... you will want to pace yourself and you will appreciate the near infinite number of cafes and variations on lemonade and szorp (syrup and water, either still or sparkling, most often raspberry or elderberry or sour cherry) and beer. But that has been true for me as a tourist throughout Europe across the decades, even in London many summers, and I am only now of an age where I can think of vacations without considering school holidays.

Air conditioning is different. Budapest (and Paris and much of Europe) have traditionally had climates in which for perhaps 48-50 weeks a year the evening/night temperatures were well within the comfort zone, and the architecture was designed to provide natural comfort preservation both in summer and in winter: thick stone walls, deep basements with foundations directly into the earth, combine to preserve cellar temperature and maintain evenness of temperature within the older apartments. The stone walls stay cool and the evening brings them back down from however warm the sunlight brought them up.

BUT global warming has not been kind to this architecture, because now there are more and longer stretches of hot nights, during which the walls do not cool off and even continue to heat up. What had been a natural air conditioner has become a natural pizza oven. But only for a few unpredictable stretches each summer. Even August can have mostly pleasant nights, it's a matter of luck.

Ultimately, Budapest is not Rome or Barcelona; it is central Europe ... The long days and sunlight have appeal for some travelers as much as they deter others.

(I would buy your friends a thank-you gift of a fan.)

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budapest tourism information

To be honest, I was much more.comfortable in Spain middle of July than June here. Spain is built tall with narrow cavernous streets to keep the sun out. Many places in Budapest haven't respite from the sun.

It is easy to say the locals live without a/c. They get used to it. If you aren't used to it, it is miserable.

Many Hungarians, particularly older ones, believe drafts, including fans, make you sick. As such, a gift of a fan may be unwelcome. Additionally restaurants often lack a/c and any form of circulation. The air is still and humid. It takes lots of adjustments to cope. Those of us that live here know how to make adjusents to work around it.

Ultimately,maybe you want to rent a hotel.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budapest tourism information

# I would buy your friends a thank-you gift of a fan.

John i was already wondering about that but when i visited the Media market near Nyugati station last summer, i guided my friends to the corner for the electric fans, they did not look interested so i am afraid it may not be a welcome gift as cpfoutz above says.

# ...perhaps 48-50 weeks a year the evening/night temperatures were well within the comfort zone, and the architecture was designed to .... from however warm the sunlight brought them up.

Yes one can say that in general for northern central europe including where i live. But as you also has pointed out, it happens that even the old thick walled building cannot block the summer heat of recent years any longer.

Budapest's summer, especially of last year, seemed more brutal to me, say compared to Paris.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 16:33
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Budapest tourism information

Hi,

I second Chris for Madrid. I've been there for one week in late June/early July. Daytime temperatures were in their "nice" 38-42 C/100-107F and it was whole lot better to survive than when the same temperatures hit Budapest. A/C was spotless wherever we went. Our air-conditioning is one of the lousi...t in Europe, especially in many Restaurants or Cafes. But even today at the Campona mall or last week at the Bauhaus supermarket it was probably just 2 or 3 degrees better than in the streets:( Unfortunately they didn't let me drive through in the comfort of my van's A/C:))

And yes many of the locals (same thing in Russia) suffer a serious case of A/C phobia, kinda it kills not only your joints but even the joints of your unborn children and definitely helps you catching a flu:)

Reply to: Budapest tourism information
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted