We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closure of M3 metro

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
39 reviews
Closure of M3 metro

Hi

We are planning our trip to Budapest with 2 kids aged 6 and 7 over Easter. Looking and weighing up the transit options into town and have read the threads about different options available to us. We were thinking of getting the 100e in and the metro/200 combo for our return. The crowds described on the 100e are slightly putting me off with the kids. Anyhow, I then read that metro M3 is closed for renovation and there is a bus replacement for some of the journey, which sounds like a faff to me. I can't get the timetables to load, please can anyone help me with details of the Metro closure? Is it all the time? Or certain days/ times? We arrive Easter Sunday and will leave on a Thursday, hopefully, both in daylight hours.

Thanks in advance

15 replies to this topic
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
39 reviews
1. Re: Closure of M3 metro

Edit - I should say we will be aiming for Nyugati Station I think.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
304 posts
167 reviews
2. Re: Closure of M3 metro

Have a look at this site and see if it has the information you need:

https://bkk.hu/m3felujitas/

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
13,026 posts
64 reviews
3. Re: Closure of M3 metro

What time is the Thursday flight exactly ? if you have BKK passes then you should be OK if the flight is before 9:00pm: the last Metro leaves Lehel Ter (the northern end of the line) for Kobanya-Kispest (the stop you want) at 20:30 in the week. It is totally shut at weekends. The 200E bus from Kobanya-Kispest is well signposted, just follow the airplane sign.

Journey from Deak Ter, the 'centre' of Pest, takes around 45 minutes, Nyugati 5 minutes more.

You are right that when the metro is shut there are replacement buses, which on arrival I would avoid.

Theoretically you have to pay for the children. On arrival, that makes the 100E, the direct bus to Deak Ter, cost about £13. A taxi will be about £20. The 100E is NOT covered by any passes, you have to pay for each ticket, about £3.

Up to you.

Edited: 14 March 2018, 18:13
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Closure of M3 metro

Thank you very much. So completely closed Easter sun? You raise a good point about the taxi when it is written like that - thank you. Thursday it's mid afternoon but we're going to go a bit earlier and visit the aeropark so should have no problems on public transport (we'll need 8 single journey tickets for 4 of us, right?)

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
13,026 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: Closure of M3 metro

Correct: don't forget to stamp them on the bus - you can't usually get into the metro without showing a valid ticket. Some buses don't have the machine by the front door - by which you must enter when using the 200E.

Budapest, Budapest...
Level Contributor
738 posts
1 review
6. Re: Closure of M3 metro

Actually, no. Easter is an exception, only the northern section will be closed (between Lehel tér and Újpest), the rest will stay open.

Manchester, United...
8 posts
7. Re: Closure of M3 metro

Hello, due to the closure of the m3 metro line, we were wondering if we could use the same ticket for the metro replacement bus. Thank you very much. Sean

Budapest, Budapest...
Level Contributor
738 posts
1 review
8. Re: Closure of M3 metro

Yes. If you’re transferrig from the metro to the replavement bus (or vice versa), you just need to punch the other side of the same ricket.

Manchester, United...
8 posts
9. Re: Closure of M3 metro

Thank you very much for your help.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
43 reviews
10. Re: Closure of M3 metro

#you just need to punch the OTHER SIDE of the same ricket.

This is interesting and good to know. Thank you, mrsomebody.

Edited: 01 August 2018, 12:25
Reply to: Closure of M3 metro
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted