We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quirky places to visit

Northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
Quirky places to visit

I’m travelling to Budapest at the end of March with my sister. Absolutely Cannot Wait and we hear so many positive things so my question is, what are the absolute must see things to do/places to see.

Ideally something a bit quirky and off the beaten track. Not your bog standard outing. We have already booked opera tickets and Intend on doing an open top bus to see the city.

Really appreciate any advice !

26 replies to this topic
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
38,715 posts
121 reviews
1. Re: Quirky places to visit

How about a visit to the food truck udvar ---> https:/…359522

Pjk

Northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Quirky places to visit

Oh that looks amazing, thank you so much!!! It reminds me of paper island in Stockholm

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,963 posts
64 reviews
3. Re: Quirky places to visit

There is a book called 'Only in Budapest', by a Yorkshireman called Duncan J Smith, which lists about 80 places to visit in Budapest, and gives a potted history - about 3 pages - of each.

It is available from Amazon, second hand, for £1.15.

Level Contributor
679 posts
4. Re: Quirky places to visit

After visiting top attractions you can go to see the main hall of the Museum of Ethnography, Museum of Applied Arts, Aquincum, the Market Hall.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,963 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: Quirky places to visit

The Market Hall is generally reckoned to be a Top Attraction - it's on most visitor's 'to do' list.

Northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: Quirky places to visit

Thanks!!

Northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
7. Re: Quirky places to visit

Great, much Appreciated

Oregon
Level Contributor
424 posts
31 reviews
8. Re: Quirky places to visit

I'm not sure where it falls on the quirky scale, but we enjoyed the "hospital in the rock" museum -- it's a relatively short tour (an hour, I believe) and is very fascinating and informative about Budapest's history, as well as the hospital facility built into a rock/mountain.

Northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
9. Re: Quirky places to visit

Thank you! Sounds Interesting . Will add to the list

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
128 reviews
10. Re: Quirky places to visit

Hello Trish,

It's a great question....and depending upon how much time you have, here are some ideas, albeit don't know if they qualify for "quirky":

1. Take the chair lift to the highest point in Budapest. This chair lift is accessible by public transport (bus) and will offer you some wonderful panoramic views of the city and surrounding hills. At the top of the hill, there is a look out tower which is the highest point. Not too many international visitors found here....

2. Round trip on tram #2. For a small fee, you can ride the riverfront enjoying the riverfront and 6 city bridges. You will see castle hill, parlament, Gellert Hill and the Liberty Statue, national theatre, etc. Actually, likely tourists here - but get on at the first stop by Margit bridge on the Buda side so you can get a window seat. Be sure to have a public transport pass or ticket!

3. Castle District post 19:00. This is when the neighborhood goes fairly quiet and is most enjoyable. Grab a dinner up here (some good kitchens) and then - enjoy Fisherman's Bastion and the wonderful panoramic view, walk the backside and see the hills of Buda illuminated, head to the front of the palace and walk out on the "cat walk" (not narrow) and have the place to yourself.

There are more....but I have to run.....enjoy this great city.

Jeremy

Reply to: Quirky places to visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted