We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport/Margaret Island

London
Level Contributor
608 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport/Margaret Island

We haven't been to Budapest for over 10 years but are going to surprise a friend whose wife has booked 4 days away for his 60th birthday (he thinks we are just taking them to the airport). They have booked the Dunubus Health and Spa hotel on Margaret Isand so we have booked our room their. She said they want to use public transport as much as possible so I suggested buying a 3 or 7 day pass and we intend to get to the hotel from the airport by buses/metro but if I remember correctly, you cannot buy a pass at the airport so I assume we would buy individual tickets till we get to a metro? Any advise on how to get to the hotel from the airport and any restaurants/bars that we should go to? We are going Saturday to Tuesday and I was thinking Szimpla Kert on Sunday might be good. Because we have been to Budapest before she said they will take our lead but we have never stayed on the Island and I'm feeling a bit lost so any suggestions on must sees or do's would be great. We went to the House of Horror and Children's railway which they might enjoy but I'm sure there must be loads we can fit in 4 days, maybe Monday could be a problem if things still shut? We are all lively 55+ and like good reasonably priced food, wine and the odd bit live music. A sightseeing tour and riverboat trip would be good but its how to get to them I'm feeling confused about, it looks like a 26 bus goes near the hotel, does anyone know what time they start and finish please? Any help or advise would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Edited: 05 October 2017, 17:07
Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Szimpla Kert
Szimpla Kert
5,632 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Children's Railway, Budapest
Children's Railway...
562 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
11 replies to this topic
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
278 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport/Margaret Island

The airport now offers two options to purchase tickets that are very convenient:

Both 2A and 2B have staffed booths where the travel passes can be bought. Use this link to read some information on the staffed locations: bkk.hu/en/…

There are now self serve ticket machines outside the arrivals area where you can buy the passes.

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
950 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport/Margaret Island

Margitsziget isn't brilliant for transport options and is a really long walk from the city centre (@ 2.5 miles / 45 min walk, done it a few times after concerts at the open air theatre).

The 26 bus offers a good service with frequency of between 10 - 20 minutes depending on time of day. First bus is around 05:30, last bus 23:06. To get a nightbus you need to walk the 600 yards to Árpád híd / bridge.

You can take the 26 in any direction depending on which comes first as the bus terminates at metro stops both ends of its route, which will then whisk you wherever you want to be in a few minutes ...

Spreading cost across four people I'd seriously recommend a taxi from the airport. It will be £25 - 30 and save you multiple public transport changes, escalators, waits and walks (think bus, two metro lines, and then bus to the island !).

Never found Monday closure to be a big issue as Budapest isn't really a museum city (and the Fine Art Gallery and Applied Art Museum are closed anyway for renovation), in my opinion outside of special exhibitions (Műcsarnok, Robert Capa gallery, etc.) the only must see is the National Gallery on Castle Hill which now also temporarily hosts the best international works from the Fine Art Gallery.

Search this forum for hundreds of ideas for what to do, where to eat & drink. Maybe book a concert ?

You don't say what your particular interests are, or precisely when you'll be in Budapest which would help.

A decent guidebook is always a good start for planning. My favourite, András Török's "Budapest ; A Critical Guide" is difficult to buy outside of Hungary, but you can find it here ...

https://issuu.com/andraas/docs/budapest

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Castle Hill
Castle Hill
9,527 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
4,634 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport/Margaret Island

I would agree...staying on Margitsziget is not a good move for getting around, particularly by public transport. You are forcing yourself to take a bus to another mode of transport anywhere you want to go as Bus 26 doesn't take you anywhere in particular except to get you off the island.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,162 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport/Margaret Island

If the BKK booths are shut at the airport, or if they have a queue, you can get passes from the 2 machines at the bus stop: they take CCs and have a menu in English.

For a 7 day pass you need to enter some form of photo ID reference such as your passport or driving licence number. You must carry that ID whenever using the pass: a good quality photocopy of your passport will suffice.

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
950 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport/Margaret Island

Roman, I really wouldn't advise anyone of reasonable wealth (able to afford flights and nice hotel) to take public transport to Margitsziget from the airport ...

Just get a taxi.

London
Level Contributor
608 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport/Margaret Island

Thank you everyone, some good advise, I think we will get a taxi from airport then get a 3 day pass so we won't have to carry the ID. It's not really my choice where to stay as we are tagging along, we used to stay in the Astoria which was very good but we still got public transport most places. I'm not sure if they have paid up front, we haven't so if they haven't I'll try to convince them to stay somewhere else, any recommendations Thanks again for all the help.

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
950 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport/Margaret Island

There's nothing wrong with the hotels on the island, indeed its a quiet and pleasant place ... just that you need to factor in 20 minutes or so to get to the heart of the city.

Not many restaurants on the island except those of the hotels, and the bars dotted around.

Budapest
Level Contributor
575 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transport/Margaret Island

I'll second the advice. Unless you were planning some serious spa time instead of sightseeing, it really isn't worth the extra time to get off and on the island. (Think: it will be roughly a extra hour for each round trip you take off the island which will add up) If possible, I would find a suitable alternative hotel in Pest or along the banks of the Danube. Keep in mind that there's the new green metro line that runs from Keleti all the way out to Kelenfold in Buda which gives you a bit broader area to stay than the last time you were here that will quickly connect you to the city. Furthermore some of the areas that you might never stayed in 10 years ago are now quite pleasant around the Corvin (District VIII) and some parts of Ferencvaros (District IX).

From what you have written I'm not clear on when you and your friends visit but if you are coming in this weekend or any weekend this month then check out the Contemporary Arts Festival that will have a series of concerts, exhibitions and walking tours for most of this month: cafebudapestfest.hu

Be sure to tour the entire Kazinczy utca, not just the end of it where Szimpla is located. Since you were last that area of the old Jewish Quarter and Gozsdu Udvar has become quite a hub for nightlife. (things doing get really going most nights in the fall and winter until after 8pm)

To get some ideas about local food to try, check out this helpful website: https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Corvin Hotel Budapest
Corvin Hotel Budapest
199 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Szimpla Cafe
Szimpla Cafe
537 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Gozsdu Udvar
Gozsdu Udvar
1,100 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
4,634 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public transport/Margaret Island

Astoria is perfectly fine as is anything in pest within the Ring road (which trams 4 and 6 runs on.

London
Level Contributor
608 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public transport/Margaret Island

Thanks again, we are coming next weekend so I'll look at the websites suggested.

Reply to: Public transport/Margaret Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted