We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Budapest to prague

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Budapest to prague

We are trying to decide in between flying and taking a train. Is the scenery on the train pretty? How often do the trains run from Budapest to Prague? The info I have found I could not read. Thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Budapest Danube River Dinner Cruise
696 Reviews
from US$ 41.60*
Free Cancellation
Budapest Full-Day Trip From Vienna
80 Reviews
from US$ 141.40*
Free Cancellation
Private Entrance to Széchenyi Spa in...
394 Reviews
from US$ 23.80*
Free Cancellation
28 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Budapest to prague

I am waiting the same answer now. We're planing to take a train to Prague. Someone pasted Hungarian rail site to Prague but the site I couldn't read either.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,163 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Budapest to prague

Flying will be a 4 hour relay-race of airport bus, airport hassle, the actual flight, then another airport bus or taxi. So it saves far less time than you'd think. Hardly worth it!

It is cheaper, easier, less hassle to just get an air-conditioned EuroCity train from city centre to city centre, through the landscapes and cityscapes and townscapes of the very countries you are supposed to be seeing.

The train costs from just €20 (or from €35 in 1st class) if you pre-book at Czech Railways www.cd.cz or Hungarian Railways www.mavcsoport.hu.

I'd check cd.cz first as CD do print-your-own tickets so is easiest, MAV require you to collect tickets from a machine.

These EuroCity trains are swish, modern, air-con, and have a proper sit-down restaurant car serving hot meals on proper china, wine, draught beer on tap. A meal on a moving train is such a treat, and so civilised compared to the cattle-class experience of flying. Photo of restaurant car: …alamy.com/comp/CRM7GK/interior-train-with-w…

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,163 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Budapest to prague

Here's what a typical Budapest-Prague train looks like: www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php…

Click the camera icon for photos of each car. The restaurant cars on this route are in fact a slightly different design to my previous post, vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/CZ/CD_WRmee816.php

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,417 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Budapest to prague

I'm trying to book Budapest > Prague for 30th Dec on the Czech rail site. I get a message that suggests the new timetable is not out yet

All other countries where I've wanted to book (Austria, Germany, France, Netherlands etc) are now all available Can anyone advise when it will be released

many thanks

Helen

Edited: 22 October 2017, 12:18
Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Czech Inn
Czech Inn
857 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
Austria
Austria
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
France
France
Europe
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Budapest to prague

Hi

I remember that u suggested in your website that Budapest Prague tickets purchased from Czech website is not valid while boarding from Budapest since it is not validated by Czech authority.

Am I getting something wrong?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Alexandria, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Budapest to prague

Very helpful. Budapest - Prague o the train sounds a lot like Washington DC to New York on the train. very civilized.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
New York Cafe
New York Cafe
13,172 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Gyor, Hungary
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Budapest to prague

"Very helpful. Budapest - Prague o the train sounds a lot like Washington DC to New York on the train. very civilized."

In fact it's much better that that! CD(Czech Railwaxs) gives Amtrak a run for their money.

"I'm trying to book Budapest > Prague for 30th Dec on the Czech rail site. I get a message that suggests the new timetable is not out yet

All other countries where I've wanted to book (Austria, Germany, France, Netherlands etc) are now all available Can anyone advise when it will be released"

It's strange that you can book tickets for 30 Dec for some countries, because the annual Europe wide timetable change is around the middle of December and even the railways themselves don't know yet what trains will run where and when. I think you're trying to use a middlleman like Eurorail.

Please spare a few minurtes to read this and let it sink in for future reference as well):

https://www.seat61.com/Europe-when-do-train-…

Edited: 01 April 2018, 23:06
Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
New York Cafe
New York Cafe
13,172 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Czech Inn
Czech Inn
857 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
Austria
Austria
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
France
France
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Mumbai...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Budapest to prague

It's every one hour

Chapel Hill, North...
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Budapest to prague

Purchased June 26, 2018 Budapest to Praha 6.5 Hrs no change of trains cost for( 2 )First Class Tickets $84 ... 2nd class was about $14 less

Edited: 23 June 2018, 23:26
Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Budapest to prague

I will need to do the same thing on August. Could you please share where and how you got the tickets?

Thanks

Reply to: Train from Budapest to prague
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted