We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing a 7 Day Travel Card

Perth
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Purchasing a 7 Day Travel Card

Hi

My wife and I arrive in Budapest by train at Budapest Keleti. We will be staying at the Hotel Victoria which looks as though it will be relatively easy to get to using The M2 line and then Tram 19?

We are hoping to purchase a 7 day travel card at Keleti when we arrive, but looking on the BKK web site it appears that you have to provide all sorts of ID at the time of purchase. This seems to indicate a shop front of some sort, not a vending machine.

Does such a thing exist at the train station or will we have to go else where to purchase the pass?

Thanks in advance.

Grub

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Best Seller
Budapest Danube River Cruise with...
710 Reviews
from US$ 40.70*
Best Seller
Budapest Evening Sightseeing Cruise
165 Reviews
from US$ 10.50*
Best Seller
Private Entrance to Széchenyi Spa in...
417 Reviews
from US$ 23.30*
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,400 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing a 7 Day Travel Card

all you need is a government issued photo id with a number, and a credit card; the machine will ask you to enter the number from the id, and thats it

if asked, you show id with pass and they compare the numbers

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,400 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing a 7 Day Travel Card

there is, in addition, a staffed info center at Keleti

http://www.bkk.hu/en/main-page/contact/

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,457 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchasing a 7 Day Travel Card

If that's Perth in Scotland, just use your UK driving licence number - and carry your licence with you. If Oz, doubtless you have something similar.

Edited: 12 July 2017, 18:20
Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Perth
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchasing a 7 Day Travel Card

Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.

John. Thanks for that link. That page was obviously the one I did not read fully. My bad.

From what you are saying, I can use a vending machine? Hope they don't mind technically challenged people like myself holding up the queue. Maybe looking for that info centre could be the better option.

Roman. It is the OZ version. We do have photo ID on our licences so that sounds like the go.

Thanks again

Grub

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
290 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchasing a 7 Day Travel Card

You can indeed use the vending machine!

If you would like to see how it looks, here is a link that will actually allow you to virtually purchase the 7 day ticket so you can practice and be ready:

http://bkk.hu/automata/demo/

Simply click on the box near the bottom left that states 24h Purchase of travelcards.

Perth
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchasing a 7 Day Travel Card

Once again, thank you.

Travelnurse. What a good site. Silly thing is that I had been looking at the main site, and did not even notice the link. My only defence is that it was late and I am old and grumpy:).

Could you just clarify if you must provide a licence (ID) number or will a name only suffice. The text on the demo indicates a choice, but the web site info talks about needing the ID number.

Thanks again

Grub

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
290 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Purchasing a 7 Day Travel Card

Yes, the demo says a name will do but we have always used our license number.

Sorry to make it seem so confusing!

8. Re: Purchasing a 7 Day Travel Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2018, 10:48