We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

slovenia toll roads

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
slovenia toll roads

Hi,

we are renting a car to drive from Trieste to the Plitvice Lakes in Croatia. From google maps it looks like we will drive on E61 in Slovenia. Is E61 a toll road? (do we have to buy a vignette?)

thanks!

Washington/UK...
Level Contributor
501 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: slovenia toll roads

E61 is not toll road.

UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: slovenia toll roads

Actually, Google maps has two separate roads marked as E61. One requires vignette, the other one doesn't. Weird.

But here is a map for toll roads in Slovenia: dars.si/Dokumenti/…Vignette_system_299.aspx

Bled, Slovenia
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: slovenia toll roads

In Slovenia must be allways alternate road(yellow signed)! But they are may be longer distances, take a little bit more time!

Where is with VINJETA signed, you must have it! !

Edited: 07 May 2011, 18:00
Lija
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: slovenia toll roads

When you buy Vignettes for a week to drive in Slovenia, do you have to pay toll roads as well to drive in the motorway?

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: slovenia toll roads

i think Vignettes works on all toll roads. we saw police on the side of the road with binoculars, perhaps looking for people without the Vignettes.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
64 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: slovenia toll roads

The vignette takes place of the tolls, so there are no other charges. The fines are quite high and the controls frequent, so it is worth buying a vignette.

UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: slovenia toll roads

It might be worth mentioning there still are toll booths left on the motorway from when you paid at the booths. Use the lane marked "Vinjeta" and just drive trough them.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
64 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: slovenia toll roads

Yes, and the speed limit through the toll booths is very low, 40 km/h, and speed controls are frequent there, so be careful ... fines for speeding are very high in Slovenia!

NJ, USA
Level Contributor
728 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: slovenia toll roads

I'm so confused, having a vignette means we do NOT need to pay the tolls? I thought it only allows us on the road...

Is this true also for the Czech Rep, Austria and Germany?

Thanks

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
64 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: slovenia toll roads

Buying a vignette takes place of paying the tolls, and you only need it on the freeways/highways.

It is the same system in Czech republic, Austria, Hungary, Switzerland, etc (I believe the are no tolls in Germany?), but of course you need a separate vignette for each country.