We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Slovenia with Car - Bled and what else?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
19 helpful votes
2 days in Slovenia with Car - Bled and what else?
Save

Hello I have a weekend to explore Bled lake and another part of Slovenia countryside. I was hoping to see Soca Valley. Anyother tips? Also, any ideas on where I can find the best viewpoints along Soca river?

9 replies to this topic
Radovljica, Slovenia
Level Contributor
41 posts
1. Re: 2 days in Slovenia with Car - Bled and what else?
Save

When are you coming? At the moment, personally, I would avoid Bled at all costs. It is horrendously busy, traffic jams, tourists crammed into every nook and cranny, difficult to park... Not my idea of beautiful, peaceful Slovenia! I live 7kms from Bled and avoid it like the plague at this time of year.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
19 helpful votes
2. Re: 2 days in Slovenia with Car - Bled and what else?
Save

OMG, I'm coming in 10 days from now. Do you think it will still be that bad? In any case I don't have much choice. It's all booked now.

Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: 2 days in Slovenia with Car - Bled and what else?
Save

The best places to view Soča and take a quick dive are: Bovec - way to Lepena - Kobarid (and a kust see also the nearby Nadiža river) - Tolmin - Kanal ob Soči.

I would also suggest that you go to Bled in late afternoon hours and skip the island there; you would get more from nearby Bohinj. Also when you come/exit from the highway, stop at the recreational airport Lesce. Near Bled are also very nice medieval towns of Radovljica and Škofja Loka, worth a stop for coffee/lunch (it would be cheaper there as Bled, less packed with tourists).

If you go southern of Soča valley and pass Nova Gorica, go to Štanjel and Vipavski Križ, two idylic towns.

Radovljica, Slovenia
Level Contributor
41 posts
4. Re: 2 days in Slovenia with Car - Bled and what else?
Save

Bohinj is by far more beautiful and 'natural' than Bled, however, even there it's packed at the moment. I was talking to a neighbour yesterday, who lives here in Radovljica but works in Bohinj, and she said she has never seen it so packed. So, you need to time your visit well. Go early morning, e.g. before 8am, and make use of the park and ride in Bohinjska Bistrica rather than trying to park near the lake. Things will quieten down at least somewhat after 1st September when kids go back to school.

Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
69 reviews
65 helpful votes
5. Re: 2 days in Slovenia with Car - Bled and what else?
Save

Vintgar Gorge is about a 10 minute drive from Lake Bled. It has a lovely walking path along the river and the views are magnificent.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
19 helpful votes
6. Re: 2 days in Slovenia with Car - Bled and what else?
Save

Thank you all so much. I did go to Vintgar Gorge, very pretty. And Bled felt almost empty between 28 and 29aug so I guess I got lucky.

san francisco
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
7. Re: 2 days in Slovenia with Car - Bled and what else?
Save

Hi Guilherme - Can you share your experience of Vintgar Gorge? Was it busy when you were there? And what time did you go? We are going in two days (Sept 1) ... trying to get tickets ahead of time and wonder what is a better time to avoid the crowd. Thank you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
19 helpful votes
8. Re: 2 days in Slovenia with Car - Bled and what else?
Save

Oh I don't think you'll have problems. I got there in the afternoon around 3:30pm on Sunday. No queues at all for buying tickets, parking with plenty of space. Of course there were quite a few people on the walk but nothing bothersome. Just beware that you'll have to either walk back to the parkin after the visit and it's a good 45min walk. They offer transfer at a cafe near the exit for €7 which I found a bit too much so decided to walk. If you are going midweek I wouldn't worry much.

san francisco
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
9. Re: 2 days in Slovenia with Car - Bled and what else?
Save

Wonderful. Thanks!

Reply to: 2 days in Slovenia with Car - Bled and what else?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.