We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slovenia in Oct/Nov?!

Bristol, United...
2 posts
1 review
Slovenia in Oct/Nov?!

Hi there, my partner (un)kindly bought me a place in the Ljubljana half-marathon at end of October, mainly so she could have a holiday. But now I'm fearful that come that time the festivals will all be done, the mountain passes shut, the lakes frozen over, the wine bottled away, and the entire Slovenian population in hibernation. Slight exaggeration perhaps but still I wonder what's best for us to do at that time. Any suggestions much appreciated. Looking at last week of October, first week of November. Much love

4 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Slovenia in Oct/Nov?!

It's certainly a quieter time to come, but that could also be a bonus since, believe me, at the moment the major tourist areas, Ljubljana, Bled etc, are swarming with tourists and the traffic jams associated with it.

If we get a nice autumn, October can be a nice time to visit, but who knows with the crazy weather that is going on pretty much everywhere this year.

There is unlikely to be snow at that time, but it can't be entirely ruled out, last year we had early snow in November, but the two previous years there was no significant snow until after the new year.

You haven't mentioned how long you are coming for, where you are going to be stay and what your interests are, apart from running of course - with you on that one - so give some more info and I, and probably others, will give you some ideas.

You can also check out my blog if its of interest for some more active pursuits - https://adeleinslovenia.com/

Višnja Gora
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Slovenia in Oct/Nov?!

New wine will be just 5 min to finish, colors in the nature will be amazing, no tourist. After half maraton maybe visit some spa and enjoy in relax and food mode.

If you like some walking check Kranjska gora or lake Bohinj both doable with public transport, Soca valley better with a car and still much to do. Maybe some snow on higher pick but mainly above 2000m so still much to do.

And finally Ljubljana marathon is very nice, a lot of people on and around the trail.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Slovenia in Oct/Nov?!

During October and November you have the Old Vine/St Martins (wine) festival in Maribor https://maribor-pohorje.si/old-vine-festival…

Lots of St Martins events all over Slovenia, in fact.

And a big culinary event in Ljubljana... https:/…

So don't fear the autumn! :)

Bristol, United...
2 posts
1 review
4. Re: Slovenia in Oct/Nov?!

Thanks so much all, happy for these responses! Didn't mention how long we're coming for or where we're going because it's not really decided yet. Keen to be active and do some walking in the mountains if still possible - not sure if Mt Triglav is advisable at that time? Or better alternatives? Soca Valley also looks lush and we'll probably hire a car so that's definitely on the shortlist. And definitely good to know about the Old Vine festival! "...don't fear the autumn!" - thank you!!

Reply to: Slovenia in Oct/Nov?!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted