We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks next June: Slovenia & Croatia or Albania?

Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
2 weeks next June: Slovenia & Croatia or Albania?

Hi there!

My husband and I are looking ahead to our trip next June. We will have 14 days on the ground. We would ideally like to see parts of Slovenia (Ljubljana, Lake Bled, hiking in the area), Croatia (Split, Brac, & Dubrovnik), & Albania (Riviera) but I realize that while this may be feasible, it will likely not be enjoyable.

We are pretty set on Slovenia but I'm looking for advice on our second destination. We are in our late 20s and enjoy hiking, kayaking, trying new foods, craft beer and wine, beautiful views and beaches. We prefer to stay in small guest houses. It looks like there are direct flights from Ljubljana to Tirana if we went with Albania. If we went with Croatia, we would likely take the sleeper train via Zagreb.

Our favorite places we've visited on past trips include Budapest, Krakow, & Paros (Greece).

Thanks in advance!

3 replies to this topic
Višnja Gora
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: 2 weeks next June: Slovenia & Croatia or Albania?

With rent a car or not?

Maybe Slovenia (add Bovec for sure, Vipava valley, Goriska brda) with Istra - Croatia and next time Dalmatia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Albania

10 posts
2. Re: 2 weeks next June: Slovenia & Croatia or Albania?

If you love hiking then Slovenia would be the right decision - check Komna, Konjscica, Velika Planina... As @suhi2000 mentioned above - Bovec/Kobarid would be the best place for kayaking. And not to mention Slovenian cuisine - finger lickin' good in every mountain hut and in every city/town (Ljubljana has an open kitchen every Friday during the summer months - https://www.visitljubljana.com/en/visitors/events/open-kitchen-food-market/.)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
272 posts
3. Re: 2 weeks next June: Slovenia & Croatia or Albania?

Given that you will likely travel many times again, I would opt for Croatia as your second destination just because it's logistically easier. Then you could travel through Albania to northern Greece on another holiday. But it would be so easy to fill 14 days just in Slovenia so if it appeals, just do that. If you choose Croatia, I'd visit the northern areas rather than attempt Dalmatia, which is a long journey.

Reply to: 2 weeks next June: Slovenia & Croatia or Albania?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted