We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stopover in Warsaw?

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
stopover in Warsaw?

Hello -

I'm flying into Poland via Frankfurt. I intended to spend most of my time in Krakow, however find myself with a bit of spare time and wanted to see if I should stop by in Warsaw.

My flight in Frankfurt lands at 6:20am on a Wednesday, and i have the choice of flying direct to Krakow on a 8:20am flight, or to Warsaw on a 7:25am or 9:15am flight.

I would like to spend that night in Krakow and start seeing Krakow the following day. So i have the following options:

(1) flying directly to Krakow, and spending 1 more day there. I already have 4 days planned there (inlc Auschwutz, salt mines, etc.).

(2) I'd really like to see Warsaw and i doubt i will be back to Poland anytime soon - so would like to take any opportunity i get. So I could take the 9:15am flight and arrive in Warsaw at 11am. But then aim to take the 5:30pm train from Warsaw to Krakow. However, with immigration, the ride from the airport (via taxi) to the Old City, figuring out how to get to the train station, buying tickets and figuring out which platform to go to - am not sure if that really leaves decent time to walk around the Old City and go to the Warsaw Uprising Museum (for a short while anyway)? Appreciate any thoughts anyone may have on this. I am happy to take taxis from one place to another to save time.

(3) anyone familiar with Frankfurt connecting flights? Any possibility for me to catch the 7:25am flight when i am scheduled to land at 6:20am? i can travel with only carry-on if needed.

I realise this will only give me only a very very short time to see Warsaw and doesn't do it justice, but in light of the time constraints i'd like to do what i can, if it is even at all possible.

Thanks for any advice!!

Edited: 18 September 2012, 22:14
Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stopover in Warsaw?

This is a difficult quenstion, on the one hand, it does not do it justice, on the other hand, Warsaw is worth a visit. I personally like such adventures so I would go for it.

I travel via Frankfurt quite frequently and based on my own experience, a short connection of about 1 hour in Frankfurt is definitely doable. The airport is huge but as all Lufthansa flights are operated in thesame terminal (terminal 1, concourses A, B and C), it should not be a major problem. If the airlines sells this connection, they are also responsible for any delays and other problems. So if you miss your flight, they would book you on the next one. Whenever my luggage got lost, it did not happen in Frankfurt but elsewhere. You will pass passport control in Frankfurt, you don't have to show any documents when arriving in Poland (from Germany or most other European countries). The chance that your baggage gets checked by costum control is very low.

Why don't you want to travel from Warsaw to Kraków a little later? There are trains after 5:30 pm and you can also take a flight.

The Uprising museum is great but I would rather spend my time in the old town and surrounding areas if only a few hours in Warsaw. If you have only 3 hours or so for sightseeing, it would really be nonsense to go to the Uprising museum. If you manage to spend some hours more, though, it might be worth the short visit.

You can buy train tickets online if you want to avoid the hassle at the station. But beware that you must travel on the right train in this case, otherwise your ticket is not valid any more. The station is not very big, there are 5 platforms and they are underground. So you just have to look on the sreens from which platform your train departs and take the escalator downstairs. The station is not far from the old town (about 15 min. on public transport or taxi depending on traffic or 30 min. walking time).

I suppose you would like to leave your luggage somewhere: if you decide to take the train, it would be best to leave your luggage in a locker at the station and pick it up before leaving Warsaw. In this case, it's better to take the train from the airport in Warsaw to the main station or neighbouring commuter station. These trains are frequent and cheaper than taxis, in addition, you would not safe time as it takes about 20 min on both taxi and train (you can find the train station at the airport if you turn right after leaving the arrival hall and walk straight for about 3 minutes).

If you take the plane, you can leave your luggage at the airport or check it in after arriving for the flight to Kraków (if possible). I am quite sure there are lockers or a luggage room also at the airport but as the website does not work right now, I could not check so far.

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stopover in Warsaw?

"So I could take the 9:15am flight and arrive in Warsaw at 11am. But then aim to take the 5:30pm train from Warsaw to Krakow. However, with immigration (...)"

You won't have to deal with immigration in Warsaw. You will clear customs in Frankfurt - first place where you reach the EU. In Warsaw you will only have to collect your luggage.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: stopover in Warsaw?

Thank you so much!

I've decided to go for it and get myself to Warsaw, albeit for way too short of a time.

And that was a great idea to leave my baggage somewhere - i've decided to take a flight from Warsaw to Krakow. At first I thought i may be a hassle to go to and fro the airport, etc. - but the timing makes much more sense and the airport is closer to town than i realised.

Thanks for the advice and happy it's feasible! :)

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stopover in Warsaw?

This is a good idea, lots of people prefer flying nowadays as trains leave a lot to be desired (although the route to Kraków is among the best).

A taxi to the old town area should cost about 45 PLN, depending on traffic. The majority of taxi drivers are honest, but be sure to take a taxi waiting outside the arrival hall (ignore all those who offer you transport to the city center). Company name, phone number and prices must be displayed on/in the taxi.

You can also take the train to the main station and walk to the historical areas (20 min) or take a taxi from the station. Bus 175 runs directly from the airport to near the old town but it takes about 40 min. If you have some time to visit the Uprising museum which is far from all other sights, it's better to take a taxi. But you should really have enough time, otherwise stay in the historical area.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: stopover in Warsaw?

Perfect - thanks v much!! :)

6. Re: stopover in Warsaw?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2013, 15:46
Get answers to your questions about Warsaw