We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

duty free vodka

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
duty free vodka

We will be flying from Krakow to Warsaw to USA, and I was wondering how the selection of duty free vodka is in Warsaw. I have read the selection at the Krakow airport isn't too great. Is Warsaw any better? Are there duty free shops after you pass through security because our bags will already be checked at that point so we would have to carry it on?

Dereham, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: duty free vodka

Warsaw airport has a full selection of duty free goods, better I think than Krakow, although I haven't been to Krakow for a few years. The shops are after security so anything you buy has to be taken in the cabin. That shouldn't be a problem unless you plan to buy a few dozen litres!

I'm never sure quite how cheap duty free really is compared to buying in, say, a supermarket in the country you are visiting. I think there is very little difference. I tend to buy at my leisure and then pack the bottles well using bubblewrap and stow them in the middle of my cases. Never had a problem so far with that although I suppose you could have quite a mess if the case gets damaged in transit. After that I use the airport shops for last-minute impulse buys.

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: duty free vodka

Thank you so much for the info!

Tarnowskie Góry
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: duty free vodka

From my travelling experience from Krakow and Katowice airports, the alcohol prices in airport shops are around 5-10 PLN more than in high street shops i.e. 500ml bottle of Zubrowka - 21 zloty in my local shop, 27 in airport and so on.

Airport shop selection compared to any 'sklep monopolowy' is always worse and prices are no good too. If you travel within EU than it's not even duty free if it's at all...

I would suggest to buy vodka in any shop in Krakow city centre, there are a few shops there with excellent selection. It's simply breath taking to see all those vodkas. Supermarkets tend to be cheaper, around 1-2 PLN for a bottle less, but selection is not that good.

Suggestion for brands:

Clear vodka - posh brands - Chopin, Belvedere, excellent

Medium - Wyborowa, Pan Tadeusz, Luksusowa very good

Flavour ones - Wiśniówka cherry (yum, yum), Krupnik (honey Yum, yum, yum), Zubrowka (bison grass vodka), Cranberry vodka - just for ladies

Try also Dębowa - excellent quality, medium price - it's slightly greenish in colour, because of piece of oak wood inside, it's still a clear vodka type, but in quality matches the most expensive brands.

And many more.

Polish vodka is ussually very well made so even medium brands are very good, not to mention those the most expensive ones.

Na zdrowie!!!

Moryc

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: duty free vodka

Thank you ever so much! That is most helpful! You're making me thirsty!

Krakow
Level Contributor
5 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: duty free vodka

Do not need to buy in Krakow - In Warsaw you will find a good choice of vodka - if not in new terminal, go to the old one. And it's cheap.

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: duty free vodka

Okay, thank you! I will keep that in mind. Good to know all our options.

7. Re: duty free vodka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 18:51