We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do people do if they fail their test at the airport?

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
68 reviews
59 helpful votes
What do people do if they fail their test at the airport?
Save

Does anyone know if this has happened and if so what action did the individual and authorities take?

Imagine: you’re both feeling great, you’ve checked out of your hotel, got to the airport in plenty of time to do the test and catch your flight. You take the test, wait around and then to your horror you get a text stating that one of you is positive. It would be impractical that one of you returns to UK and the other remains.

What can you do? What help can you get and from whom? Where would you quarantine etc?

Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
1. Re: What do people do if they fail their test at the airport?
Save

Poland has had less than 200 daily cases for about two moths now. You are not very likely to find anyone with first hand experience here.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
57 reviews
47 helpful votes
2. Re: What do people do if they fail their test at the airport?
Save

My brother in laws girlfriend was in that situation, they simply re-rented the apartment they had been staying in for the period of quarantine.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
68 reviews
59 helpful votes
3. Re: What do people do if they fail their test at the airport?
Save

Phytochemical - yes, but of those 200 one of them could have been at Krakow airport, hence the reason I asked. If I don't ask, I'm unlikely to get an answer. It’s almost inevitable that eventually someone will test positive at the airport – I’d hate to be that person.

Thanks Phil C - Personally, I'd be loath to try and book accommodation, or take a taxi to the city knowing full well that I was positive. Would I tell the taxi driver and accommodation in advance? I doubt if they would provide the service if they knew. Even if one could book accommodation being victualled would be mighty difficult, but thanks for the advice.

I'd have liked there to be a government contingency plan in place so that if one tested positive they were mandatorily placed in quarantine even if it was at my own expense.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
4. Re: What do people do if they fail their test at the airport?
Save

Bear in mind that it is not Polish government that requires you to take a test to leave Poland. Polish government does not force its citizens, residents or visitors to do any tests before they fly to/from Poland. No Polish citizen/residents is forced to quarantine abroad unless they themselves decide to do a test while abroad and it comes back positive.

There is a contingency plan, I mentioned it on another thread - if you refuse to arrange your own place, you will be taken to an "izolatorium". It's a hostel-like establishment, usually attached to a hospital, care home, sanatorium, etc. As far as I can see there are very few of them, some sources say only one per region is actually operating now. Polish citizens/residents can use it for free because it's paid for by the National Health Fund (NFZ). No idea if there are any reciprocal arrangements regarding health care provision after Brexit. If not, google says the rate is about 200-220 PLN/night. I don't recommend going for this option anyway. You can find much better options for this price.

Regarding transportation - I'm pretty sure the health authorities can arrange suitable transportation for you. Personally I think that for a foreign visitor with no one local to help you out, it's better to do that test somewhere in the vicinity rather than at the airport so you can simply walk.

Edited: 16 August 2021, 20:05
Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
57 reviews
47 helpful votes
5. Re: What do people do if they fail their test at the airport?
Save

So in your hypothetical world you'd sleep out in a field near the airport for the period of self isolation.

Edited: 16 August 2021, 20:22
Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
5,364 posts
85 reviews
29 helpful votes
6. Re: What do people do if they fail their test at the airport?
Save

Schedule a test near your accomodation a day before the flight and in the unlikely event that you do test positive, just go back and isolate. Solved.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
148 reviews
131 helpful votes
7. Re: What do people do if they fail their test at the airport?
Save

Maybe you are just over thinking, which will take the joy out of your trip. Perhaps take some free NHS tests with you and test yourself every few days for peace of mind

London, United...
Level Contributor
532 posts
26 reviews
39 helpful votes
8. Re: What do people do if they fail their test at the airport?
Save

Dependning on how long you go for maybe take a test before you go, we are going to Poland for the weekend in September and as the requirement is within 72 hours of flying home techincally we can take the test before we go and use the same test result for getting home and not have to worry.

Wimborne Minster...
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: What do people do if they fail their test at the airport?
Save

Something I've noticed is that the guidance does not actually say 72 hours, it says "3 days", and then states as an example that a test taken on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday could be used to board a flight on Friday. Depending on the time of the flight on the Friday, this could be interpreted as allowing up to 96 hours to pass between taking the test and boarding the flight... though I am not volunteering to be the one to try putting this to the test at the airport.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england

Edited: 17 August 2021, 20:18
Swindon, United...
3 posts
1 review
10. Re: What do people do if they fail their test at the airport?
Save

I think this is a very important question

Friends were positive ( no symptoms) I'm Barbados.

Very frightening as quarantine rules are very strict and expensive too! Thank god for insurance.

So I guess the airline refused to fly you.

But then you are on your own for 10 days to quarantine.

Do they have quarantine hotels ?

What do you do if you have checked out ?

Reply to: What do people do if they fail their test at the airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Krakow
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.