We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reserve a place in the train Krakow-Lviv

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
108 posts
999 reviews
Save Topic
Reserve a place in the train Krakow-Lviv

Hello,

This summer I will be in Krakow and I want to take the train to Lviv. I live in the Netherlands and informed here how to get tickets for the train. Here they told me I can buy tickets here which are tickets for a vice versa trip which I will have to use in a month given a certain starting date. They told me however that it is not possible to reserve a seat/bed on the train and that when I get there it is possible that the train will be full. Since I have one day to get there, I have to questions:

1) Can I reserve the places on the train in advance?

2) Are the trains normally full in the summer?

Thanks!

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
887 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reserve a place in the train Krakow-Lviv

First of all, seats are sold only 60 days in advance, so at the moment it is not possible. Unfortunately, you cannot book it on-line at the moment, only for domestic trains. What you could do is contact polrail.com , they would be able to buy it for you and then send it by post for a little charge.

Another option is to risk it and buy the day before. If you're going during the Euro2012 than I wouldn't risk it, otherwise during the summer it is rare that the trains are fully sold out.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
108 posts
999 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reserve a place in the train Krakow-Lviv

I will try to contact polrail.com than because I am travelling during the euro2012, hope it works out...

Bydgoszcz
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Reserve a place in the train Krakow-Lviv

Booking to/from Ukraine opens 45 days in advance.

For travel during Euro 2012, it looks like it will be a big mess.... Today was the first day of booking for the Krakow-Lvov night train on 08 June. And on this first day, it was 98% sold out! (This might that a travel agency or tour group made arrangements to block the spaces in advance.)

PKP InterCity has stated that extra connections to Ukraine will be put on for football travelers. But to this point, no specific details have been released.

Regards,

Jeffrey Dobek

Polrail Service

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reserve a place in the train Krakow-Lviv

You can also check (quite cheap) flights: http://eurolot.com/en/ They are still available for June.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,511 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reserve a place in the train Krakow-Lviv

Another possibility, if slightly adventourous, is taking a train to Polish Przemysl, then a local bus to Mendyka at the border crossing, and a local bus/"marshrutka" from there to Lviv. I did it back in 2010, leaving Krakow in the morning and arriving in Lviv in the afternoon. Whether conditions will be the same during Euro 2012, I can´t guarantee, though. Don´t mind if a (too) lonely taxi driver at the Ukraine border will claim that there are problems with the Lviv buses, there usually aren´t. The total price was very modest, I guess around 20 Euros.

Lviv is truly great. Enjoy your trip !

Edited: 25 April 2012, 23:05
Adria, Italy
Level Contributor
191 posts
493 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reserve a place in the train Krakow-Lviv

I'm in a similar situation, wanting to book the Krakow-Kiev night train.

Is it really not possible to do it on-line? I've tried all the PKP-related sites I could find and got nowhere. How on earth can someone outside of Poland book the train if you can't do it on-line?!!!

If anyone has a website details, that'd be great. Any help gratefully received!

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
108 posts
999 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reserve a place in the train Krakow-Lviv

Trains are indeed already sold out. I hope there will be a bus or extra trains available and or else I will have to rent a car (which would be very expensive).

I checked the website for over night busses but its all in Polish so I cant make anything out of it :(

Adria, Italy
Level Contributor
191 posts
493 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reserve a place in the train Krakow-Lviv

I have to do a similar journey to you and found these bus services

www.voyager.pl/BusPAgEN.nsf/Bilet…

sale.euroticket.pl/start.php…

I don't know, but they may be of some help.

9. Re: Reserve a place in the train Krakow-Lviv

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 May 2012, 18:35
Adria, Italy
Level Contributor
191 posts
493 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reserve a place in the train Krakow-Lviv

I went for joen.dk's solution from Ukraine to Poland, but then contacted Polrail for the train the other way as, well, I'm an old get and want some comfort ;-).

The commission was about €12 per person, which I found completely reasonable. None of this doubling the prices that is found elsewhere!