We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tugendhat Villa Questions

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
192 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Tugendhat Villa Questions

We have tickets to tour the villa on Tuesday at 15:00. We are staying in Mikulov and will be driving to Brno from there. Their website indicates there is no car park. Here is the parking recommendation:

"The closest possible parking is, for example, at the car park at BILLA supermarket on Drobného street (from there approximately 10 min. on foot to Villa Tugendhat)."

We thought about having lunch in Brno but I have read posts here that say it is difficult to drive in Brno. Any suggestions on how to make the most of our day in Brno and how much time we should allow to make sure we get to the villa on time? We do have a GPS.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tugendhat Villa Questions

If you can get there at all there should be plenty of on-street parking near the villa as it is a residential area - you don't really need to park in Billa, either, but at least you can be guaranteed a parking space there.

Parking is the least of your worries around there, but in other parts of the city it is a different story. As for getting around Brno if you have a GPS then it won't really help you as one of the main arteries near the villa (Pionýrská) is totally dug up and will be for a long time, also elsewhere in there city there are lots of roadworks and recent road changes which means that most software is out of date, and the centre is out of bounds to cars anyway. This makes the villa very difficult to reach by car unless you know exactly what you are doing, and I wouldn't tackle it as a first-timer. Even the locals have difficulty with it.

You need as much time as possible in Brno as there is a lot to see and do - one day is not enough as you will just scratch the surface. I would at least make a day of it.

This is just one suggestion:

You could park the car on the outside the city centre, then you can get that out of the way and you can use the trams instead which would be much less stressful. The closer you get to the centre, the less likely it is that you will find anywhere to park. But the public transport system is second to none. What you could do is park on a street off Vídeňská, e.g. Vinohrady, Polní or Kamenná where there is usually no problem parking, and it will be safe (as with anywhere, don't leave any valuables on show). Then get a tram from the stop called Nemocnice Milosrdných bratří, or any other stop along Vídeňská (going in the direction towards the city of course) - nos. 5, 6 or 7 are probably best, and they go every couple of minutes. You must get tickets from the machine which is close to the tram stop island, for which you will need some coins, and validate them on entry to the tram. Buy a few here if you can.

Get off at Šilingrovo náměstí, from where it is a short walk to the centre - you will see the cathedral to your right, and the castle is on your hill to your right. Then just wander around the city, and you can make your way on foot towards the villa, across Moravské náměstí (the one with the statue of the triumphant Soviet soldier), down Milady Horákové for a bit, turn left down třída kpt. Jaroše, to Lužánky park - walk diagonally across the park past the tennis courts to Drobného. You will see a 'street' called Schodova in front of you - this is not really a street as such, rather a flight of stone stairs marquel.net/fotogalerie/…Schodova.jpg - go up there and turn right at the end of the street onto černopolní. You will soon find the villa. Going back you can walk the other way down Černopolní to Milady Horákové and get tram no. 5 from the stop called Dětská nemocnice (children's hospital) all the way back to your car.

For places to eat and things to do and see, I have posted a few suggestions - just look through the Brno forum.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
192 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tugendhat Villa Questions

Wow--thanks for your detailed response. I was hoping to hear from you! We will follow your instructions, park our car and take trams. I looked up the location you suggested on Mapquest and programmed it into our GPS. We learned to use the trams in Prague, so we should be able to figure it out.

I found your walking tour and copied that too, as well as your reataurant suggestions. I think we will try Pegas as it sounds like it has outdoor dining, and it's supposed to be a nice day. We will try to get to Brno by 10:30 so we can see as much as possible. I will report back on how everything goes!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tugendhat Villa Questions

Good luck - either Pegas or Kabaret Špaček is good for lunch - the latter is very close to Šilingrovo náměstí.

Above I said 'the castle is to your right' - it is in fact to your left. Sorry - all written in a bit of a hurry :)

You obviously won't be able to see everything in one day, but you could go and see the new find near Sv. Jakuba (the church with the long thin spire) for example http://brnonow.com/2012/06/ossuary/ which is quite interesting, although it is all left to your own imagination (no guide). You should be able to fit that all in as well as lunch.

Have fun, and enjoy the villa! I have been a few times before it was renovated, and it was spectacular. I have never got round to it post-renovation - the tickets are always sold out - but I will get there one day.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
192 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tugendhat Villa Questions

Thanks for the additional information!

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
192 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tugendhat Villa Questions

Our day in Brno was short but very enjoyable! Thanks to GCEK for your recommendation to park and take public transportation, along with your detailed instructions. It made for a relaxing day. 

We came in on Videnska and found a parking spot on one of the side streets (Havlenova off Gallasova), walked back to Videnska and took the tram from Celni, one stop before Nemocnice Milosrdnych. 

We bought tram tickets at a tabac near the stop, took the tram to Silingrovo Namesti (I think it was about four stops after we got on), and walked to the main square. We then looked for a Tourist Information Center to pick up a map. We should have looked up the location ahead of time as it took us awhile to find the office. 

Although we wanted to try one of the restaurants GCEK recommended, we got to Brno later than planned, so decided to have lunch closer to the Tungenhut Villa. The couple with us had found a NY Times article about functional architecture in Brno, and the author had recommended Era, which is near the Villa on Zemedelska.

…nytimes.com/2012/…

Era has a pleasant patio in back where we ate a delicious meal. It was very relaxing and worked out well for us before going to the villa. We left Era around 14:30 and got to the villa in 10 minutes.

To get to Era, we basically followed GCEK's directions to the Villa since it is six blocks beyond that, stopping by three churches in the central part of the city. The first, St. Michala, was closed. We looked lost, and a homeless looking man asked if he could help us. He had a kind manner and was able to point us in the right direction, so I gave him a few coins when he asked.

At the second church, St. Janu, a poor looking woman tried to insist that we had to give her money to get into the church. We have paid at churches or dropped donations in a box provided, but we were pretty sure she wasn't an official collector. We pretended we didn't understand and just walked in.

The third church, St. Jamu, was open, and Mass was going on. No one asked for money, and it was past collection time! Being Catholic, we stayed for communion. We all agreed that the priest looked like Jesus Christ.

The walk through the park was pleasant, but we walked too far and missed the steps that would have cut a few blocks off the walk. We should have followed the directions more closely and exited near the tennis courts in the park.

The Villa tour was very interesting and well worth it, especially if you are interested in history and architecture.

After the villa tour, we walked up two long blocks on Cernopolni to Merhautova (turns into Milady Horakove) and took the #5 tram back to our car. (We checked on the tram posting to make sure it stopped at Celni!)

Thanks again, GCEK, for taking the time to ensure we had a great day in Brno. Next time we'll try to stay longer. You and other regulars on this board provide an invaluable service to tourists in the Czech Republic!

(I will post a review under the activities section for Villa Tungenhut.)

Edited: 18 September 2012, 00:28
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tugendhat Villa Questions

Glad it worked out, more or less! And well done for finding Era - there are a couple of hidden gems like that dotted about. Zemanova kavarna is another one.

7. Re: Tugendhat Villa Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2013, 14:48