We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer Steins

Palm Desert...
Level Contributor
273 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Beer Steins

I am posting this question on the Vienna site as well. My son and his wife asked for covered beer steins. I would like to buy a few nice ones, non-touristy. Can anyone suggests a store?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,344 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Beer Steins

you could try the shop within U Medvidku they had several there

www.umedvidku.cz/index.php…

Pilsner Urquell have opened a new shop in Prgaue and you may get some there.

http://www.store.pilsner-urquell.cz/en/

Palm Desert...
Level Contributor
273 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beer Steins

Great, thank you so much.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
14,937 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beer Steins

there are beer steins in the souvenier shops but sorry to say, steins are not typical Czech souveniers

the places you will find them the steins will be aside most things not Czech...Russian dolls, etc. as well, the stores are not Czech owned.

Edited: 01 May 2012, 02:17
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,841 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beer Steins

hmm, I agree with Tejas.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,685 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beer Steins

I always thought of steins as more of a German thing, no? And if memory serves, steins are covered and uncovered "steins" are not steins, but rather mugs.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,344 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Beer Steins

I have suggested the 2 places that I have as they have the steins associated with the companies they represent so not typical tourist tat stuff but stiens with the logos of either the brewery or the pub they represent. whether you still consider that tourist tat then thats up to you.

I have nevre bought one but do own many beer glasses from the major suppliers in the Czech Republic as well as some pubs all of which were aquired legally including some form the Czech Beer Festival.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beer Steins

I did not think much of the steins Urquell offered at their brewery. Then again, I always seem to like the idea of beer steins more than the execution, so I may not be the best source on this.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Beer Steins

I have collected many steins over the years. Lately I've been hauling home the 1 litre maas Oktoberfest style also the 2 litre "growlers" and now I find myself too cluttered plus they are bulky and far too heavy to carry, think I'll begin collecting Christmas market glühwein cups or maybe just quit collecting all together.

Edited: 02 May 2012, 18:58
Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beer Steins

@ november_moon

Yes, steins are definitely more of a German thing, though not sure that they are used all over the country.

The first time we went to Cologne, we were surprised that their local beer, the excellent Kolsch, was always served to us in approx 1/2 pint glasses. Later on we went to another pub, and asked for our beer in steins.

The bar man reached down behind the bar, got a couple of steins out and dusted them off. I think he muttered something about tourists. We later realised that Kolsch is quite strong, so not drunk in large glasses. Maybe a more Bavarian thing, where the beer is weaker.

Never seen a proper stein used in anger in Prague though.

Stenhousemuir
Level Contributor
315 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beer Steins

I do believe the origin of the lid on the steins was to keep out flies and other impurities - a bit like the slice of lime in a bottle neck of a South American or Spanish beer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_stein

At the moment they all appear to be touristy now but that may change if the reports are correct that disease spreading mossies are using climate change to thrive in Belguim, Germany, Slovakia and other Euro destinations which escape me at the time of posting.

…wordpress.com/2011/…

There is a more up to date report on this.

Do you buy one now at a tourist price or wait until the panic sets in?