We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas update

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Christmas update
Save

Hi All

Just after some opinions of those who know much more than me!

Last year was the first year in 12 we have not spent the Christmas week in the beautiful city of Prague. We moved the hotel to this year but have until October to commit to the booking or move for free again.

As much as we miss Prague I am not sure we will (a) as uk residents be allowed into the Czech Republic this December, or (b) if we can , wonder how different things will be to the christmases we have spent over the last 12 years ( ie market , restaurants, boat trips ,opera etc !!)

I fully appreciate nobody has a crystal ball but just would really appreciate some opinions as to how people see , this Christmas in Prague unfolding !

Thanks all. And stay safe

5 replies to this topic
Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
5,364 posts
85 reviews
29 helpful votes
1. Re: Christmas update
Save

Nobody knows. There are two major factors at play:

1. The general election which will happen in the autumn and makes this very hard to predict - we have no idea what will the new government look like and what will be their policies for covid.

2. How the third wave plays out - hopefully the combination of strong second wave + vaccination provides enough herd immunity to make the next one relatively light on health care.

The best case scenario is that nothing major happens in the autumn and that will further increase the demand for release of the measures. The worst case scenario is that there will be heavy pressure on the health care, which is in turn likely to cause knee-jerk reactions from whoever will be the government at that time - while delta waves should be quick (high peak, but going down quickly), Christmas would be too soon after the third wave, likely causing overcautiosness. Sadly, Czech government is not renowned for a pragmatic approach to covid.

To wrap it up, it can go either way. I wouldn't book anything non-refundable.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
496 posts
38 reviews
19 helpful votes
2. Re: Christmas update
Save

Ian O I too am considering a return to Prague this December.. currently Czech Republic is on the UK Amber list ('m not sure about your location.. ) so as a fully inoculated traveller I would hope that we will be able to travel under the current requirements especially as Jet2 are currently selling city breaks to Prague in December. That said, another update is due from the UK gov't in the next few days so for now I'm jut planning, not booking. I guess it's a case of watch this space...

Wallasey, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
40 reviews
55 helpful votes
3. Re: Christmas update
Save

We’ve booked for 2 nights for our honeymoon 13-15th Dec.

We love Prague, both double vaxed with NHS letter/certificate. So we’re keeping everything crossed.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Christmas update
Save

Yes we're much the same double jabbed with certificate, the flights and hotel are re booked from last year , we booked the hotel while we were in Prague Christmas dec 19 ( before covid hit ) as it gave us a small discount!

Fingers are crossed as Prague has really become Christmas for us over the last 12 years or so.

Many thanks for replies

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
13 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Christmas update
Save

THe UK is due to update its list and its rumoured that CZ may be added to green list

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/uk-green-list-countries-travel-b1907043.html

unfortunately Christmas is far away, but the trend for now is promising....

Edited: 25 August 2021, 13:29
Reply to: Christmas update
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.