We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague Hlavni Train Station - questions

connecticut
Level Contributor
57 posts
Prague Hlavni Train Station - questions

Hello, can anyone please let me know if the departure/arrival boards at the Prague train station are translated into English? Also, time-wise, how much in advance would you recommend we be at the train station for our departing train? We already have reserved seats. Lastly, are the RailJet trains pretty much on schedule.

Many thanks in advance for all responses.

7 replies to this topic
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
43,518 posts
104 reviews
1. Re: Prague Hlavni Train Station - questions

I can't remember to be honest, but it's really self explanatory.

Look for your train number on the screen, and the final destination.

Note

RJ (in capital letters ) Is Regiojet

rj (small letters) is Railjet...presumably you are going to Vienna?

20 minutes before planned departure is plenty of time and yes pretty much on time.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
23,654 posts
2. Re: Prague Hlavni Train Station - questions

give yourself at least 15 minutes to be at the train station before departure,yes they are usually pretty well on time. not sure about translations but it is all pretty obvious, just make sure you note the actual number of the train you want it will be on the departure board.Announcements for all the international departures are in Czech and English.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
20,125 posts
85 reviews
3. Re: Prague Hlavni Train Station - questions

Here is what the board looks like. https://goo.gl/images/wXJUup

Look for time and train # on the left columns

There are only 7 platforms pretty easy.... 2nd to last column will give you the platform... sometimes it is only posted 15mins before..if you don't see the number, just wait for it.

The far right column will tell you if there is any delay.. in minutes

There is a full supermarket/Billa at the train station, pick up drinks, snacks there.

connecticut
Level Contributor
57 posts
4. Re: Prague Hlavni Train Station - questions

Dear all,

Many thanks for your responses. One additional question, we plan on purchasing business class train tickets from the OBB website for a Railjet train. Does anyone know when you purchase your tickets online can you also print them yourself or do you need to pick them up from the train station which you are departing from.

Thanks again!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
43,518 posts
104 reviews
5. Re: Prague Hlavni Train Station - questions

Have a look at Czech railways website and compare prices, CD can be cheaper than Oebb on some days....and yes you print tickets on A4 paper or US letter size.

https://www.cd.cz/en/eshop/

Edited: 10 June 2018, 19:47
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
20,292 posts
76 reviews
6. Re: Prague Hlavni Train Station - questions

As above, you won't have any problems with the destination board.

Only problem I did have is at the ticket office. I speak very limited Czech and the staff didn't speak English very well (not that I would expect them to!). So if you need to buy a ticket it might be a good idea to write the details down on some paper.

I nearly ended up with a ticket to Berlin instead of Plzen, probably because of my terrible pronunciation of the Czech language, despite trying to practice, obviously to no avail!

In Belgium I once ordered two beers in Dutch (that's what they speak in Flanders, well, a variation called Flemish), but I obviously got my pronunciation of "two" completely wrong because I ended up with three beers!

"I only asked for two" I said to the barmaid in English.

"No, you ordered three" she said to me in better English than my own! 🤔😂

Level Contributor
2,015 posts
1 review
7. Re: Prague Hlavni Train Station - questions

there's no point in waiting in queues... download the app, buy online. The app will send you all the info about platforms, delays etc.

Reply to: Prague Hlavni Train Station - questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted