We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rancho Santana in January with 21 month old..Tips?

South Orange, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
39 reviews
Rancho Santana in January with 21 month old..Tips?

My husband, 21 month old toddler and I are thinking of staying in Rancho Santana for about 10 days in January at one of the private houses. We are not surfers and think some of the longer day trips would be difficult with a very wriggly toddler so I'm wondering if there's enough to do/if we should consider shortening our stay there? We would have a car, FYI, but don't want to spend too much time in the car. Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Rancho Santana in January with 21 month old..Tips?

Maybe you could spend a few days in Granada before going to the beach. You can explore the city, take a boat tour of the isletas and do day trips to active volcano Masaya, Lake Apoyo, the white villages, maybe volcano Mombacho (cloud forest, trails, wildlife).

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
918 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Rancho Santana in January with 21 month old..Tips?

Greetings starhawk: (great handle btw!)

RSA does have some day trips but the most popular places people go when visiting Nicaragua are 1 1/2 to 2 hours away from there. Unless you just want to chill out at the rental house/swimming pool, enjoy the beaches and the sunsets, there isn't a whole lot to do on-site.

Local stuff to do includes: Horseback riding, watching a turtle come onto the beach and lay her eggs (January is the end of the season for that), a local hot springs, a hidden salt water pool at low tide at the north end of Guasacate beach (ask the locals), a day trip to Mukul Resort (make lunch reservations), visit San Juan del Sur...that's about all I can think of for non-surfers! A bit longer would be to go at first light to San Jorge and get on the ferry to Ometepe and spend the day there (you can bring your rental car).

As SoniaToronto says, a few days checking out Volcano Masaya, Laguna de Apoyo, etc. would be worthwhile. It kind of depends on whether you are coming to Nicaragua to relax on a beach or you want to learn more about the country and its culture. RSA is lovely but it's not going to expose you to a lot of the folklore and artisanry of the Nicaraguan people.

Cheers, Mike @ Farmstay El Portón Verde, Managua

South Orange, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Rancho Santana in January with 21 month old..Tips?

Thank you both! Good tips - That is my only small hesitation about RSA - that we would be in a (very nice) bubble but will not be able to get out and about as much as we would without a 21 month old :-)

Edited: 28 December 2015, 07:13
Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
918 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Rancho Santana in January with 21 month old..Tips?

I have a 19 m.o. so I understand completely! :)

Reply to: Rancho Santana in January with 21 month old..Tips?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Popoyo
Recent Conversations